• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

!!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Murat

Promethian
Jun 21, 2002
Mt first dive trip with a boat, the boat was small sea was tidy and unfortunatelly i spend the day with throwing up.If anybody knows this sickness medicine i will greatly appreciate that, before going sick i manged to get one pointed nose grouper at 24 meters but did not take the picture since it was not worth it, instead i will post my diving buddy's dusky grouper had been shoot at 29 meters.

Here,

Last edited:
Murat, nice catch!,
People say that raw ginger (the root) is very good for cutting sea sickness. I've never tried it as I don't usually get seasick but some swear by it.

Adrian

I'll weigh in for raw ginger. I used to get tremendous airsickness - a four hour flight could have me quite ill for several days. Chewing a bit of raw ginger now and again during the trip completely eliminates the problem.

I've heard people say crystallized ginger, ginger candy etc. - but I've found nothing less than raw ginger root really works.

Murat,
Thats a big fish for that depth, congrats to you and your buddy.

Having a wife who gets very sea sick, we have tried all sorts of stuff. Ginger works ok for us, but we never tried it raw. There are a bunch of effective drugs for motion sickness, dramamine,bonine scopalamine, etc. Most of them are some form of downer and probably not too good for free diving. Sea Bands are elastic wrist bands with a plastic knob that fits on a preasure point. They worked somewhat. The best we found was the electronic sea band. Expensive, but very effective. Can't take'em in the water though. A search should turn up much more info. I remember some references to newer drugs that worked well and might be ok for diving. Good luck finding the right stuff for you.

Connor

Murat, try the juice of 2 freshly squeezed lemons. This was given to me once by a crew member whilst I was on a red sea liveaboard and it worked.... settled my tummy in no time.

I wil pm soon about getting together to dive.... that grouper looks fab!!

Donna

Yeah credits to my diving buddy one of the best spearfisher in Northern Cyprus.

I will first give this ginger stuff a try. I hope that works.

Going out on the boat more often will help too, try to keep your eyes open so that your brain can relate to the movement, Ive also found that keeping out of the engine fumes helps.
I got sick a couple of weeks ago whilst swimming in bad viz in a rough sea :yack

super grouper Murat.I saw today 2 seperate big ones(app. 30-40 kg. i suppose) at 25mt,two of them entered their cave while i am descending the half way.
For the :yack thing,thre is an old habit and believing in the fisherman,if anyone get the motion sickness in the boat and :yack first they advise to drink sea water to patient.And they believe he will never suffer from the nause.
Its a traditional method,it worked for my brother.
Although i am a pediatric surgeon but also i am also a fisherman :) .
Aydın

drinking sea water??? it makes my stomach bad even i don't get sea sickness rofl

Donna,

It will be good to arrange some day to dive :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT