• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

64 revisited

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Nice one Bill, you're an inspiration and example for many reading your enjoyment throughout your inspiring posts.

8 minute Statics, WOW! you do have a great stamina and strength!

69m is really a massive performance! I think it will be high on the AIDA International Ranking!, as well as the 8 minutes! When did you actually take up the sport?

Is it just me, or are these artificial hips of a such poor quality that you need almost a yearly replacement?

With Guillaume's 113m CW record you can look forward for many years of deep blue colours!

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

Awesome work Bill, you really are like a fine wine.

Cheers,
Ben

just told my girlfriend about you bill. She is now worried that I will never quit this addiction called freediving.

Great work with the 69 and the statics. When I reach your age I will remember what you are doing and...have to beat you!

Reactions: spaghetti
great dive bill, and taking mask off too, a bold move to say the least. If I am not mistaken you are using bi-fins too? makes the dive/achievement all the cooler. I hope you keep that little bit of coral!

Kars
Just realized that I hadn't answered you.

'When did you actually take up the sport?'

Started shooting fish in '49. On and off until we moved to CA in '69 and then more than once a week average for 25 years. Retired in Hawaii and had Bret Lemaster watch me for my first 31 meter dive in '00. That and Scot's talk at the club about 7 minute statics was enough to get me hooked. Anabel started a little ahead of me and she can always help because she has just been there.

'Is it just me, or are these artificial hips of a such poor quality that you need almost a yearly replacement?'

The first operation turned out to be a discovery that the real problem was my pelvis (too many bike crashes) when it cracked while seating the cup. The doctor was not ready for a bone transplant but did a pretty good job. If I had been more careful and waited a little longer before using it fully it might have been OK. Now the joint is very strong and massive after the second bone graft. There is so much steel in there that I took a half kilo off my weight belt.

Sleeping will be difficult tonight. I get to try my new yellow fins tomorrow.

So how did the new yellow fins serve the Baron of Breathold? :king

Very interesting. Too many variables. Bottom line 55 to the surface was 5 seconds faster but with the 'strange' kick I think that I used a little more energy. Both safeties said that I was noticeably faster. Remember that I'm comparing them to C4-80s and old OMER pockets that I've used three times a week for years. Sort of like the different feeling of strapping on my DeRosa that had 20,000 km and shouldering a Perazzi for the first time. Lord I love Italian toys.

When the fins arrived I thought that the paper thin blades bent like soft noodles but on the swim out they felt stiffer and a little slower on the surface. Very strange but the 80s are the best surface fin ever. The first Mustangs had the best foot pockets that I've found in 60 years of trying fins on and the yellow ones are even nicer. Like a pair of leather cycling shoes that you wear six days a week for a year.

The water warmed up a little yesterday so there may be time to get used to the 81s for one or two more tries at 61 meters (best CW in four years). Stay tuned Spaghetti.

You're a taugh bloke Bill!

I hope you new hip will work for you for a long time without trouble, luckily swimming is a gentle movement compared to walking. I think it would feel strange to have an alien piece of material inside of me. Although I see that within a period of time you would come to see it as a part of you. I consider my dear monofin as an extension of my body, and almost feel crippled without.

Probably a redundant advice to you, but when you got plenty of air and enough flexibility, it can be very beneficial and relaxing to NOT pack air, and take a KG less down. Falling down I like to have my hands beside me, close my eyes and very gently equalise with a rhythm. Don't look down to the plate, it will slow you down and break you relaxing, surrendering state.
After the relaxed turn, time to focus a bit on technique. Don't make to big strokes, relax the things you can. Catch a nice pace, close the eyes apart from an occasional peak, and just loose you sense of depth and time in your rhythm.

My best dives where those where I lost the sense of time.
Let me rephrase it:

My best dives are timeless :D *

I hope these words are of any use to you or others.

Have a great dive!

Love, Courage and Water!

Kars

*sounds like a great mantra for preparation and diving :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT