• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

!!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Fondueset

Carp Whisperer
Jul 27, 2004
I was going to wait and get some shots underwater - where it belongs - but we're having a blizzard at the moment.

AWESOME unit! More reviews when I get busy with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amphibious
About a week ago. So far I just take it out late at night and imagine strange things swimming through the living room - but the Fishies are starting to make their way in - I plan to dive with it this weekend - even if I have to have someone throw in quarters for me to shoot at.

beautiful gun. Unfortunately I don't have one of them of my own, but I shot two or three fishes with a 100 master america (courtesy from one of my mates who is an omer fanatic). I found it really accurate, well balanced and even more powerful than the set-up would make you think. Enjoy it.
PS did you finally identify the fish of your yesterday's thread?

Gizzard Shad - the anal fin is the clincher :)
The Teak MAs are down a bit in price now. I think Matt has some at spearfishinggear.com.
I was looking at them when Omer announced the Cobra - which seems even more perfect to me. I think in terms of accuracy etc. there is little to choose between them.

yes indeed: the rudd has the anal fin cut short, I should have noticed before. But staying on topic, what fish do you wish to shoot first with your new toy? I still havent' understood which ones are allowed in your environs.
By the way, among your pics I saw a kind of pike with a very long cigarette shaped mouth. What is it? (you're not forced to answer: I know we should stay on topic. But i'm going freshwater for pikes two weeks from now, and i'm excited about this...)

That is a 'longnosed gar' - very docile and primitive fish - also quite rare in that location.

I think what you are talking about is what we call Northern pike. We saw one of those in the same spot - also very unusual. It was also quite edgy so I only got one quick shot of it.

Only a few species are legal - but I'm working on it. I also plan to do some traveling :)

Last edited:
Blizzard?! The weather is quite Spring-like here today -- it put me in a very positive mood and I just had an excellent swim. (Although I just heard there is an accident blocking my way home:head).

That is a very nice gun -- you have become a major Omer fan. Seems like I am following a lot of your recommendations ... (Elios/Malibu/Alien)...I hope that means I will get an Omer Master next year! BTW Any updates on your Ice fins?

The Ice fins really rule. I don't have alot of experience with freediving fins - having used only sporasub HDs and Cressi Gara 2000 lds but the ice fins are really a delight to swim with. They track well and have a nice soft and even spring. They are easier on the surface than either the sporas or Cressis. In his review Shane mentions they are relatively soft - so better for moderate depths. I find them easy to control and maneuver with than my sporas, but with plenty of power. They run smaller than the sporas in the same size, and fit my feet better. The foot-pocket also seems more comfortable - though 5mil of neoprene makes this sort of moot. The return on the Ice fins is very 'even' compaired with the other two. They feel 'smooth' when you swim with them.

It almost broke my little heart when they started showing scratches from zebra muscles and just normal use - but I can confirm they remain completely transparent regardless :) They also don't crack when you drop 4 feet into the 34F water with a 15f surface windchill.

The only Omer thing I have that I'd like to see some change in is the Alien's nose pocket. Like I've said - the soft silicone pretty much makes up for it - but it does scrunch my nose upward a little. Still works great though and I have prescription lenses in mine.

All my stuff is pretty new (except the Malibu2 - which I've had for five or so years) I did all my R&D on this site :)

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT