• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

80 cm gun - any recommendations ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Than it must be Robalo? Isn't it? you will get two size of them?

Well I now have some teak.

I have three pieces to laminate up.

These are the dimensions:

18mm by 35mm by 1000mm

So this will make a stock of 54mm by 35mm by 1000mm....I got them to plane the 3 pieces flat and smooth so they are ready for gluing.

I was going to do the following :

1 - get some West System slow cure glue and some clamps and glue the stock together.
The grain seems to run horizontally on all 3 pieces.
(ie if you place all 3 together and look down the length as tho' sighting a fish the grain runs horizontally.)
Is this a problem ?
Should the grain be vertical ?
As for reversing the grain - I am not sure theat this is clear for the wood that I have - how do you tell ?!

2 - wait for the glue to cure (48hours?)

3 - router a rail in the centre piece.

4 - cut a hole for the trigger

5 - shape the stock so it curves and tapers (by hand with a sander ?)

6 - drill a hole for the rubber

7 - attach a handle (I have a solid block of purpleheart)

Well that was the plan - if there are some obvious mistakes let me know as I am a newbie when it comes to making spearguns... Any errors that you came across that I could avoid ?

The teak was £8.50 which seemed pretty good and the purple heart is £26 for a block that will make about 6 handles (300mm by 40mm by 150mm) hopefully so about £4.50 a handle...

I came across some flyfishing reels : the Masterline XL Arbour reel is made of graphite and is only £20 - is this cheaper than spearfishing reels ?
Would it be suitable for spearfishing ?
It just seemed like a decent price...

(www.tacklebargains.co.uk - nav to flyreels and then the first lot - I would copy the link but have a virus at the moment (computer virus... svchost bug or something - I am a devloper but know nothing of network stuff/bugs/worms etc - might have to reformat my pc as a spring clean...anyway, digression...))

Cheers
Ed

Reactions: Ntrik
Omer made a sweet 83cm gun. It's got a carbon barrell and has the ocean mimetic finish.

What tools will I need for doing the work ?
As for the rail - would you machine the rail before laminating the stock or after ?

I was thinking of buying a router and bolting it upside down to a table with a hole in it and making a jig for running the centre laminate through to cut the rail. (ie move the wood rather than move the router)

Is this a good plan or is it just as easy to make a jig and run it over the top by hand (ie move the router rather than the wood.)

Cheers
Ed

The Rob Allen Tomahawk is available in 80cm (or 82cm?) - seems like a good, solid choice for UK & similar. The new non-rail RA Scorpio is cheaper but otherwise similar spec. (& new handle).

Alt. the new Rob Allen Sparid, which uses a single band but includes the double band muzzle, 2 notch spear & muzzle bungee upgrades as standard. Although, RA seem plenty powerful enough without double rubbers (& you can always shorten them to increase power). [I think the RA Sniper is similar spec. to the Sparid - but stainless steel line release & old handle].

There are many, many brands/models (not all dealers carry all sizes & 80cm may not be available for all of the following) including:

Omer Excaliber2000, Seatec (some Omer connection? look good), Picasso Century, Imersion, Rabitech Stealth/Apix(nice but expensive in Europe :( ), Beauchat (watch plastic fittings on lower end models), Sporasub, Cressi Commanche looks very cool, Sommap, Spearo.co.uk Venom/Cazador, C4, Spetton, ...(& some South American brands that don't show up online!).

...Trawl the web -- the choice available is pretty huge
For wood, ebay.com (the US site) usually has a few wooden Sea Hornets for sale (although I believe these originate in Oz) & JBLs -- some quite small (they are quite powerful); people seem to love them or hate them (they seem to be considered a high value, low end wood power gun, powerful but unrefined). There are some popular mods. I think A.B. Billing might also mod. them for the US market.

If you are "well minted" and have "mucho denario" (apparently modern Cornish slang), there are high-end American wood guns (Riffes, Wong,...) which are well documented in these forums.

Last edited:
Erm.... been too busy diving :) but now that it is officially AUTUMN I might get my asp in gear and break out the old sanding block. Been incredibly busy with house plans and fraternal visits and impending Italian brothers (been having a word with teh bass today actually about those Italian boys :)) - so in a word.. no not much done.

I have been taking lots of picks and when the last coat is on and it is tested I'll make a thread about it - be interesting to see how Pete makes his - we made exactly the same stock and everythjing but have differing ideas on shaping ... I guess mine might sink !

Cheers
Ed
(Thanks for the prompt - need motivation sometimes :))

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT