• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

80 cm gun - any recommendations ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Than it must be Robalo? Isn't it? you will get two size of them?

Well I now have some teak.

I have three pieces to laminate up.

These are the dimensions:

18mm by 35mm by 1000mm

So this will make a stock of 54mm by 35mm by 1000mm....I got them to plane the 3 pieces flat and smooth so they are ready for gluing.

I was going to do the following :

1 - get some West System slow cure glue and some clamps and glue the stock together.
The grain seems to run horizontally on all 3 pieces.
(ie if you place all 3 together and look down the length as tho' sighting a fish the grain runs horizontally.)
Is this a problem ?
Should the grain be vertical ?
As for reversing the grain - I am not sure theat this is clear for the wood that I have - how do you tell ?!

2 - wait for the glue to cure (48hours?)

3 - router a rail in the centre piece.

4 - cut a hole for the trigger

5 - shape the stock so it curves and tapers (by hand with a sander ?)

6 - drill a hole for the rubber

7 - attach a handle (I have a solid block of purpleheart)

Well that was the plan - if there are some obvious mistakes let me know as I am a newbie when it comes to making spearguns... Any errors that you came across that I could avoid ?

The teak was £8.50 which seemed pretty good and the purple heart is £26 for a block that will make about 6 handles (300mm by 40mm by 150mm) hopefully so about £4.50 a handle...

I came across some flyfishing reels : the Masterline XL Arbour reel is made of graphite and is only £20 - is this cheaper than spearfishing reels ?
Would it be suitable for spearfishing ?
It just seemed like a decent price...

(www.tacklebargains.co.uk - nav to flyreels and then the first lot - I would copy the link but have a virus at the moment (computer virus... svchost bug or something - I am a devloper but know nothing of network stuff/bugs/worms etc - might have to reformat my pc as a spring clean...anyway, digression...))

Cheers
Ed

Reactions: Ntrik
Omer made a sweet 83cm gun. It's got a carbon barrell and has the ocean mimetic finish.

What tools will I need for doing the work ?
As for the rail - would you machine the rail before laminating the stock or after ?

I was thinking of buying a router and bolting it upside down to a table with a hole in it and making a jig for running the centre laminate through to cut the rail. (ie move the wood rather than move the router)

Is this a good plan or is it just as easy to make a jig and run it over the top by hand (ie move the router rather than the wood.)

Cheers
Ed

The Rob Allen Tomahawk is available in 80cm (or 82cm?) - seems like a good, solid choice for UK & similar. The new non-rail RA Scorpio is cheaper but otherwise similar spec. (& new handle).

Alt. the new Rob Allen Sparid, which uses a single band but includes the double band muzzle, 2 notch spear & muzzle bungee upgrades as standard. Although, RA seem plenty powerful enough without double rubbers (& you can always shorten them to increase power). [I think the RA Sniper is similar spec. to the Sparid - but stainless steel line release & old handle].

There are many, many brands/models (not all dealers carry all sizes & 80cm may not be available for all of the following) including:

Omer Excaliber2000, Seatec (some Omer connection? look good), Picasso Century, Imersion, Rabitech Stealth/Apix(nice but expensive in Europe ), Beauchat (watch plastic fittings on lower end models), Sporasub, Cressi Commanche looks very cool, Sommap, Spearo.co.uk Venom/Cazador, C4, Spetton, ...(& some South American brands that don't show up online!).

...Trawl the web -- the choice available is pretty huge
For wood, ebay.com (the US site) usually has a few wooden Sea Hornets for sale (although I believe these originate in Oz) & JBLs -- some quite small (they are quite powerful); people seem to love them or hate them (they seem to be considered a high value, low end wood power gun, powerful but unrefined). There are some popular mods. I think A.B. Billing might also mod. them for the US market.

If you are "well minted" and have "mucho denario" (apparently modern Cornish slang), there are high-end American wood guns (Riffes, Wong,...) which are well documented in these forums.

Last edited:
Erm.... been too busy diving but now that it is officially AUTUMN I might get my asp in gear and break out the old sanding block. Been incredibly busy with house plans and fraternal visits and impending Italian brothers (been having a word with teh bass today actually about those Italian boys ) - so in a word.. no not much done.

I have been taking lots of picks and when the last coat is on and it is tested I'll make a thread about it - be interesting to see how Pete makes his - we made exactly the same stock and everythjing but have differing ideas on shaping ... I guess mine might sink !

Cheers
Ed
(Thanks for the prompt - need motivation sometimes )

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…