• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

90 vs 110 speargun and shaft thickness

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DeepAbyss

Feb 11, 2018
Hello,
I'm debating between speargun 90 and 110.
The clearness of the water allows for a view of about 10meters.
Fishing Style in the Reef and Ambush Area,
Fish species: Sargo, amberjack,Groupers Red Snapper...Fish species in the Mediterranean.
The weight of the fish is between 500 grams and 5 kilos on average.
In addition, deliberation on the thickness of the shaft varies between 7 millimeters and 7.5 millimeters.
Many thanks to the helpers,

I'd go for a 100/105cm gun with 7mm shaft. The 110cm gun will be difficult to use in holes and caves. If you are doing "blue water" or mostly free swimming fish, AJ/Dentex, etc., then 110cm is probably better, but something in between, 100/105cm is probably better.

Personally, I find my 100 too long already for shooting into caves. And if the fish are really as shy as it’s often said about the Med then I’d lean towards the 110. Definitely not the 90.

But best ask experienced spearos in your own area.

7mm shaft should be fine and fly a tad faster than a 7.5mm and you don’t need the extra punching power that comes with the thicker shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mr. X
What size do you currently use? 90 sounds kind of short for the conditions you describe. I would think at least 100cm and perhaps 105, 110 or 115.

If you want to 'hedge your bets', how about a 90/95/100cm roller speargun?

the extra punching power that comes with the thicker shaft
This I wondered about as I'm looking to replace my spear. The way I understand is that when you increase the spear diameter, so will the frontal surface and so will the resistance with the water. So a thicker shaft would need more power to fly the same distance and the increased punching power would decrease quickly as the shaft flies. So the only way to increase range (and so too average speed) is by increasing the shafts weight by going for a longer spear, not a thicker, right?

The reason I am thinking of a marginally thicker spear is for increased resistance to bending.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT