• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

A cautionary tale, Re:Air Gun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Geoff

Apr 15, 2007
About 6 yrs ago, I moved to Spain, & being, "On my own", I started to "Snorkel", as apposed to "SCUBA" diving, like I had done "Back Home".I very soon decided to give "Hunting" a try, so I bought a Cressi SL pneumatic spear gun (I didn't know then,that it was the "smallest" in the range).The only problem, was that the Manual, was in Spanish, & that I, couldn't understand it."Oh well", I thought, look,s pretty straight forward, & it was, it worked well, great, for hunting amongst the rock,s, but just didn't have the "Power", to hit anything at a "Distance".The problem, I thought, was that the spear was too heavy, (I should say that I had had no "experience" with any type of spear gun, & that the simple solution, of course, would have been to have bought a "BIGGER" gun.Any way, I went about designing a lighter spear, but I needed to know how the gun held it, so, having completely (or so I thought) discharged the air, I started to mess with it, I loaded the shaft, but only pushed it down the barrel half way, where it stayed, I then (& don't ask me why) flipped the power control from half power, to it,s full power setting.... Yes, you,vie guest it,...BANG!.I didn't realize that you MUST have the selector on full power, "BEFORE" you discharge it, otherwise you will leave quite a lot of air in the gun.The spear shot through a cupboard, straight through an ironing board, & hit my Scuba bottle,s.After I changed my short,s, & composed myself, I carried on, thinking, "well, there must have been a little air left in it, but now it "MUST" be safe".......What was I thinking of, even now, I cant believe how incredibly "stupid" I was!.But I digress, Unscrewing the muzzle, I looked down into the barrel, to, "better see" how the end of the shaft, located in the piston, "bad idea",....BANG!!....BLOOD & PAIN!...DEADLY SILENCE!.........The only reason, why I, & my son, (Justin, yrs) are sitting hear, alive, & me with both eye,s, is that I used, "BOTH" eye,s, to look down the barrel.The piston, (still under pressure) had shot out, hitting me "Dead Center" between my eye,s, just above my nose, on my forehead."Oh F**k!" I thought, "I,m dead"!, I honestly thought I'd killed myself, shooting myself in the brain, & that, in a second or so, I would keel over, stone dead!. I sat there, in shock, blood running down my nose, dripping onto my lap....After 20 second,s or so, realizing that if I was still conscious, maybe, "I was'nt going to die", I nervously touched my forehead, was there anything sticking out of it?, no, nothing, only blood, & broken skin, Oh thank you, thank you.I got up, a bit unsteady, & went to look in the mirror, what damage had I done?, I new both my eye,s were OK, but had I split my forehead?.I slowly caught my image, first, my right eye, then slowly, oh so slowly, both eye,s,....relief!, nothing serious, but the impact of the piston had split the skin, & quite literally, "Dented" my forehead, (I still have the scar, but the "Dent" has disappeared).After cleaning my wound & applying a plaster, I went to my tool box, took out a hammer, & "SMASHED" the gun to pieces. You see, I had to stop myself from looking to see what had happened, & maybe, injuring myself, "Again".Also, I didn't want to throw the gun away if it was still serviceable, (maybe,it could be taken by a child).I nearly died that day, if I had used only one eye to look into the barrel, the piston most certainly would have entered my eye, going straight into my brain, probably killing me, at the very least, I would, most certainly, have "lost it". What I did that day, was, "Unbelievably stupid!", I messed with a lethal weapon, without fully understanding it .The gun, was in, "no way" at fault. I,m posting this account, to maybe stop some one, who, (like I did) think,s that they can mess with these guns without reading the instructions.If anyone think,s (after reading this) that I must be, a "fool", than that,s the price I,m willing to pay, to prevent this from happening to some one else......... keep safe... Geoff.

Last edited:
Geoff, can you start a blog giving details of where you will be on a daily basis? I need this information coz Man I want to be where you're not rofl

Between this and the speargun tied to the wrist episode You must have used up more lives than a cat. I'm Not sure if you are lucky, unlucky or like a spearfishing Mr Bean lol. anyway, all's well that ends well.

Hi Pastor,I,v just looked you up,& guess what,you live just around the corner from where I,m moving to,look forward to seeing you soon,..Geoff. PS. I;ll bring my Crossbow if you want,I,m a bit unsteady with it, but hey,we all have to learn!.
Atomichaggis,hi,I new I would get some flack from this,but I don,t care!.Tell me,how many of us have made idiotic,life threatening mistakes,but feel too stupid to talk about them,even though it may help someone?.Thank,s for you thought,s though...regard,s,....Geoff.

This is me, I'm not a ghost, I went diving with Geoff the other day and I survived. The thing is, he almost didn't :D, he came with an incredibly heavy dive bag, full of gear, and the poor guy didn't know we were going to be walking down a very steep hill. So being a right proper gentleman, on the return he insisted on carring the bag up without assistance. At one point, I tried to lift it up myself, an then I found out how heavy it was. After almost cussing him out, we split the load and made it up to the top - like two very old men!

In any case, Geoff, if you are up to it, let's set a date for next week sometime?

Geoff, Well-told and right manly of you to entertain us all with your stupidity.
We should all have such grace!
I've done all sorts of stupid things. Strangely, and purely by luck, few of them have had to do with diving and the best ones are best not described where young eyes might read them.

Hi Pastor,I,v just looked you up,& guess what,you live just around the corner from where I,m moving to,look forward to seeing you soon,..Geoff.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rofl
Must dash to helmetsRus rofl

If you are up this way you are of course welcome to pop in :)

Hi Adrian,yes, love to.Next week is good, so long as it,s either Monday, Tuesday,Wednesday Thursday, Friday, Saturday,or Sunday,Between, 00.00 & 2400 hrs.We can go to LLanca,I,ll take you to a nice place, where the fish are quite big & it,s not too deep, (for me,8/10 mrts).I,ll phone you. See you soon,....Geoff.

Last edited:
Hi Pastor, Only joking. Thank.s for the invite, but I never travel to Wales,(Too many men, who keep mounting goat,s)....Geoff.

No it's sheep, to many guys with wellies around to be comfortable wearing a woolly jumper

Perhaps you and Pastor can play 'William Tell' with your crossbow after a few pints.....rofl rofl

No, I never go into the sea after a few pint,s.This crossbow of mine,it,s good, but it only fire,s to about 5 mtrs @ a depth of 15mtrs.Prap,s I should get a bigger one,what do you think?.. Did you mean play, "at" W/Tell, or play, "with" W/Tell ?.Thought he was swiss anyway....Geoff. PS:Come on Pastor,where,s your sense of adventure?.

Last edited:
I reckon 'crossbow paintballing' is in order, sheep count for double points...

well you know how the Irish have safe sex? They mark the sheep that bite:martialrofl

I'm worried about how the Welsh have sex with sheep? Pastor..........:t

That's what the wellies are for! They're for the back legs to fit into

Hey Geoff, that's an interesting story! Thanks for sharing the wisdom and it's well worth hearing. in fact i recon most of us must have accounts of unbelievable stupidity if only we were prepared to share them (come on guys...). If this were a paragliding forum I'd be typing for hours on the daft things I've done (There i was at 14000 ft being hoovered by a massive cu-nim cloud; the mountans were like small hills below me... Then came the lightning..). Personally I know I'm only still here but by the grace of God.
JohnB

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT