• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

a common question, which speargun to choose :)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jos555

Oct 16, 2016
dear spearfishers,

i'm a spearfisher since 5 years and now i'm willing to change my spear gun and i'm a bit confused between the following 4 spearguns:

1 - Omer Cayman Camo 3D -------------- 85cm
2 - Omer Cayman Special Edition ------ 90 cm
2 Mares Viper Pro DS --------------------- 90 cm
3 - Imersion Eskwad Pro ----------------- 90 cm

my current is an old Beuchat Akra 90 cm

what do you think :)

What's wrong with your Beuchat Ackra 90cm?

it's a bit damaged and it took two times a strong hit so the main aluminum tube isn't that straight anymore and when i shoot the spear ain't that precise.

What feature do you like/dislike about the Ackra, before it was bent? Which features appeal on the listed spearguns?

For a 90cm gun I would choose one with aluminium cuttlefish shape barrel.

The Omer Cayman HF (owned in 95cm) is a good gun and very easy to move side by side.

The Omer Cayman Special Edition I see on the web that it comes with 3x14mil bands and 6.5mil shaft. Maybe to much power for such light shaft. For 6.5mil shaft @120cm I would go with 1x18mil or 2 x14.5mil (but you have to try to see what is best for you).

Mares Viper Pro has round barrel and therefore I will pass it. But for hole hunting (only) I prefer round barrel.

Imersion Eskwad Pro looks good but never used it.

I too like the idea of cuttlefsih shaped barrel (low resistance to turning, some resistance to vertical recoil kick).

Some other things to consider:
- screw-in bands vs. bulk rubber.
- wishbone (e.g. articulated, wire, dyneema, which in turn can affect the style of spear e.g. notch/pin/sharkfin)

Of the brands mentions: In general I like Omer. I am a little wary of Mares spearguns based on some on-line reviews I read when looking at a previous model a year or two ago. I feel pretty neutral about Imersion (I have an Orcas-clip & dive flag from them - both better than average).

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT