• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

A few details re dynamic without fins

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi all non fin swimmers.

I saw Stig a few days back and a few things puzled me. He didnt glide much. He used nearly 6 strokes on a 25m length. A very faint butterflykick bot not much energy in it. He was swimming like he was trying to set a speedrecord (sort of). He apparantly went for speed.

I have also seen Topi do a 42 meter CNF (UCB) faster than I did with my bifins. He used a very strong butterfly kick.

And I have also had the opportunity to se David do a 50 meter UCB (Hi David) and as he himself admits; he is not a style guru. He is just plain strong.

myself I have the swedish UCB / CNF fins record (40m) and I cant remember much of that dive - I just "swam for my life".
But I have one constructive thing to add. I find I glide A LOT MORE in a smothskin suit than without suit. I think I actually gain as much as one stroke per 25 meters - can this be possible?

And with a deep pool and/or more weight you can take bigger breaths.

Sebastian/Sweden

Hi Seb,
You are alive after sailing around the world in that tiny boat! You will have to send the latest journal.

Alot has changed since you saw me dive in Greece two years ago. back then I admit I was not comfortable at all and just wanted to do the dive and get it over with. So yes, style was definatley not my strong point...my strenght was...

However, since then I have had more water time and also had time to work on technique. Rudi has compared my most recent dives with topis and we are now traveling at the same speed. The good thing is that I still have quite a few things I need to polish to cut a stoke here and the and to gain a second or two.

as far as the whole smoothskin vs no wetsuit. I don't know what to think...when I was diving in Kas a couple monts ago we were trying just speedos only and I found I couldn't glide (i'm big on gliding now since it cut my difficulty levels by more than 3 points :D )...we put the smooth wetsuit on and I could glide again. BUT I was in the pool yesterday working on technique and I found with my wetsuit i cover 25m in 3 strokes..I took the suit off and had speedos only and I could do it in 2.5 strokes. so without the suit I cut half stroke..

So these two experiences are contradicting each other in a way but not really...One was diving vertically in salt water and the other was horizontal in fresh water...Soo Don't know what to tell ya.

Good?

hi friends
my static time is about 3 min and i can do 50 meters dynamic without fins and i think i could easly do more....
i think i use a frog/dolphin mixture....i was a swimmer for about five years and that was how we learnt it.
is this good or bad? i dont now how many strokes i do per 25m, i count i the next time i go to the swimming pool.
greets

Originally posted by loopy

Commiserations again on the equalising problems! Is there any chance we're going to see you in action again soon against Stig's 62m? If so, would you consider attempting the record under AIDA rules?

Just noticed I never answered this part...not that I didn't want to...just didn't see it...

Q: "Is there any chance we're going to see you in action again soon against Stig's 62m?"

A: Yes...Soon....finishing up the first phase of my training now.

Q: "If so, would you consider attempting the record under AIDA rules? "

A: NO...While FREE is around I don't see any need to. I have had good experience with FREE in the past and the people who work within the FREE network are professionals. I am really big on safety and I alwasy feel safe diving with these guys...Whatever it is that my crew hasn't thought of, when the FREE crew comes, they have thought about it and elaborated on it....There is no rock left unturned with this bunch. It makes setting a record much more expensive becasue of all the safety support that is needed...But in my book, where my life is concerned, there is never too much safety.

You guys dive safe and talk to you from Jamaica next time!

loopy said:
Mate, Wal's a gun at this, but I might be able to offer a little help...

- Swimming about 2/3 of the way down seems to offer the best compromise against wave drag from the surface and friction drag from the bottom

- Weighting is really important... if you have your weight correct (ie neutral at the depth you're swimming at), you'll glide much much further with each stroke. Additionally, a neck weight as opposed to weights around your waist seems to both offer a bit more momentum, and also helps keep your body level through the water, helping streamlinging.

- Try to separate the stroke into two parts - and arm pull and a kick. Check www.divingfree.com and look at Dave Lees videos for a good example. You can modify this with a dolphin kick in the middle (a la Topi's dives on the same site)
extremely interesting...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT