• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

A friend from Taiwan

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Taiwanspearboy

Apr 29, 2002
Hi everyone,

It is Taiwanspearboy from Taiwan, a small island in west pacific ocean.

I started my spearfishing last year and studied this skill with my uncle who has spearfished for more than 30 years, an experienced hunter.

In Taiwan, spearfish is looked down upon by the some scuba divers, so that it is quite difficult to find some companions of spearfish.

Currently, I am still improving my diving skills and wish to have progress this year.

As to my uncle, his biggest catch was the 98.5 lbs Giant Kingfish speared in 1985 and 13.22 lbs kinfejaw.

Our favorite fishes are the powerful kingfish and delicious knifejaws.

I am still a rookie in spearfish and really wish to learn skill and experience exchange with all of you.

If any of you comes to Taiwan, I could show you some wonderful place to spearfish.

Ok, that is all.

Taiwanspearboy

Reactions: Freediver81
hi

welcome to the club!

Is that me or this forum only attract nice people:D

What do you use to spearfish in Taiwan? How's the visibility, water temp, depth, current. Dont worry about bubblemaker, they are just jealous. But dont go out there alone.

Ni Hau Ma.....TaiwanSpearboy,

(Ni Hau Ma = How are you in Mandarin )

Me new too. This is a great forum, stick around. I know where you are. I transit once in Taipe on my way to USA cause I took Eva Air, never hang around there though, only hang around Hong Kong for business. Too bad I don't speak Mandarin. Wo Pu Hue Cang Wha i. Those are the only words I know. Somehow my foreign language skill border only around vulgarity ( spelling correct ? ). I can swear in Hokien and Cantonese, good enough to get me chopped by any triad....... he he he.

Is your Kingfish the same as what the American refer to, or does it look like Spanish Mackerel or Wahoo ?

What kind of fish is knifejaw ??? I know JAWS I, II and III but can you attach a photo to let me/us see what kind of fish it is cause I think you literally translate that from ur language to English......is it not ?

Cheers, ( Tsing Tao Beer !!!! )
IYA

the pic of kingfish.
but the guy is not my uncle.

Attachments

• kingfish.jpg
    kingfish.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 216
the pics of "knifejaws".
( if i was wrong, please correct me.)
the guy is not my uncle.

Attachments

• knifejaws.jpg
    knifejaws.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 230
Kingfish

Also known as Giant Trevally. We mad few in South Africa also calls it a Kingfish. And the other looks like a Knifejaw Rockcod ... it's got some other name as well, will see if I can dig it up.

Great photos! Welcome to the forums!

Photos

Photo 1 ( bigger fish ) is what I call Giant Trevally. Many people call it that.

Photo 2. I never seen such fish, I suppose it belongs to cod/grouper family by the shape of it, like SASpearo says.

Nice photo 1. Made my Giant Trevally look like a "baby". That is at least 45kg on the photo. The Hawaiian will go crazy looking at this photo cause "Ulua" has a special place in their heart. Am I correct dear Hawaiians ?

What kind of visisbility and underwater topography do you get in Taiwan ?

Cheers
Iya

hi everyone,

basically the underwater topography in taiwan could be divided into two different type.

in north, east, and south, the bottom of sea is reefs or rocks.
Therefore the visibility is 10 meters "at least", but depends on wave and weather.

in the west, the bottom is sand-based.
therefore the visibility is 4-meter "at most"

I often go spearfishing in east and west taiwan.
they are totally different experiences.

in the west, normally i just have to dive less than 6 meters to spearfish.
but in the others, i have to dive over 8 meters.

Now i just could dive about 12 meters at most, i still want to improve this.

i think i have to quit smoking now or i could not hold my breath more than 2 minutes. -_-!!!

ok, i still attach another pic of "knifejaws"

Attachments

• knifejaws2.jpg
    knifejaws2.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 173
Hello!
I hope you are still posting on this site. I've been living in Taiwan for 18years and couldn't find a friend who is willing to try the sports. Am I glad to see you message on the post. If you don't mind, I'll be delighted to joing you in the spring and summer of 2005 or you can introduce couple site for beginer. I live in Taipei and I am a experince scuba diver log over 100 dives.

lionfish said:
Hello!
I hope you are still posting on this site. I've been living in Taiwan for 18years and couldn't find a friend who is willing to try the sports. Am I glad to see you message on the post. If you don't mind, I'll be delighted to joing you in the spring and summer of 2005 or you can introduce couple site for beginer. I live in Taipei and I am a experince scuba diver log over 100 dives.

Hi I am living in Taipei too.
You may try this web:
http://tw.club.yahoo.com/clubs/SpearfishClub/

I am Xiao Ai, the webmaster.

My, beautiful fish! I am taking a vacation to my sister's house in Taipei,Taiwan 4/2-4/10. I'd like to meet some of you if possible! I would love to see the fish myself! ;)
Hi, My name is Lili and I am a new member here! I am in USA and work as an Emergency nurse. Hope we could all do something fun in the water and not just all talk! Hehehe! Salmonlov@hotmail.com Lili

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT