• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

A good all around way to train?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jsharbel71

Sep 24, 2004
Both Bruce Lee and Mohammed Ali were famous for their training routine. Martial artists and boxers still follow their training and workout regimens exactly even today. About a month ago I ruptured my eardrum and had to leave the water behind for a while. Thank goodness it has already healed but will not be strong enough for diving for another month. I have joined a gym and have started swimming. Now I will admit I am a fat, lazy, smoker but freediving has given me a reason to get in shape, try and quit smoking and exercise. This past month out of the water I started a new job and have been bad about my static training. I went from a max static of 4 minutes down to a bad 2 1/2. I am serious about getting back on track though. So what should I do? Run? Swim? The gym teaches yoga? Aerobic vs.Anaerobic? Does anyone ( especially you dolphins out there with the awesome records and static times) actually have a set workout/training regimen you could share with the rest of us. I only find bits and pieces in the threads here and I am still a little new at this and get lost and confused- but I know that swimming down to 80' feels good and playing around at 30' for 1 to 2 minutes is the best stress relief ever! So what can I do to get back to 4 minutes and beyond and back to 80' and deeper? Any help or ideas would really be greatly appreciated!
J.

Hello,

Monday: Swim few laps in the pool. Moderate intensity.
Dynamic apnea training

Tuesday: Off.

Wednesday: Gym. Squats

Thursday: Off.

Friday: Swim few laps. Moderate intensity
Apnea training

Saturday: Gym again. Dip + Chins

Sunday off.

Meditate every day (twice a day if possible). Sit down lotus-semi lotus or flat stool/chair that allows you to maintain legs 90 deg.

After doing some bellows, and few deep breathing sets. You can start your static training. It works better for me in a sitting position rather than lying down on the floor. Just try and see how it goes. Don't lie on the bed or your static apnea performance won't be optimal.

Do static training just once (or twice) a week, don't get carried away with it. Sometimes I do them just once a month.

Anyway, quiet meditation (and some form of internal martial arts, i.e. Taijiquan) and deep sea training would be the best method for apnea training.

Note: Seek medical advice before you embark in any training programs.

Al the best.

What is exactly the problem with doing them in bed ?? I had my max times lying on my back in bed

If you black-out (lying on your back) your tongue might slip in the back of your throat, I think..

Originally posted by Akoni
If you black-out (lying on your back) your tongue might slip in the back of your throat, I think..

Not saying it can't happen but I have blacked out several (dozen) times doing dry static on my back and my tongue didn't kill me. But now that I read this post I will probably choke on my tongue and die...It's difficult to do dry static sitting down...always had my best results on my back.

I'm not saying it will happen, just that it might happen:) Lying on the back is the most comfortable (doing dry statics) for me as well, although I don't do much dry statics.

Originally posted by ApneaBlue
...It's difficult to do dry static sitting down...

That's because you don't meditate regularly in the sitting position (sorry if you do). However, for me that's how it works best since I am better connected to the Universe in that position (qi entering baihui/point on top of the crown of the head), therefore more relaxed and concentrated. But hey it takes time to get used to it, but when it does it makes a difference. Once I tried an empty lung meditation (fully exhaled starting from the stomach) and I got (I think) around... (don't like to show off)

:)

Originally posted by gerard
.......I am better connected to the Universe in that position.......

Wow, that's something....Explain this better for me...I never meditate btw...

My view has always been that i want to simulate with my dry static as much as posible the body position of wet static.
Laying on my face would be a bit uncomfortable , so i went for on my back. The sensations i get in my stomach area seem to be similar to when i do wet statics. Sometimes at the end i pull up my legs to release/change some tension in my stomach area. Also this feels similar to wet statics.

If i sit upright however everything feels different compared to my wet statics so i did not see anay benifits in this.

Even when i meditate i have the same approach e.g. on my back.

I do dry statics lying on my side - it just feels better that way. If I lie on my back there is more of a 'bursting' feeling, especially after packing.

Lucia

Originally posted by ApneaBlue
Wow, that's something....Explain this better for me...I never meditate btw...

How can I start? I would need a pdf file to explain you that. Mmm,
from Western Science point of view:

Think of the human body as a ecompact electrical field with its polarities: positive (head) and negative (feet). The positive is connected to the Cosmos and the negative to this planet. When you meditate you are unconsciously stimulating the entire electrical field as the same time as interacting with the universal force that flows from above falls into your body through the crown of your head and enters earth thorugh the lower section of your body (feet if standing, lower spine/cocyx if sitting). You must think as well of this perceived Universe as a constant huge, constant mechanism that regulates all its content, pulsating and vibrating at different frequencies but in a harmonious way.

The way the body vibrates while meditating is a very similar as when acupuncture or qigong is applied to a given human being as some research found back in the 70s, which determined there is a current carried by the myelin sheath laid down by specialized cells called Schwann cells. These cells were thought by biologists as having only insulation properties, but in the experiment it turned out that they were real wires to conduct the DC current. It is believed (and I agree with that) that acupuncture points along the meridians can act as amplifiers to maintain the strength of the current. This current is constant but the practices I am referring to (including meditation) boost the strength of the current, which is very similar to the booster amplifiers along a transmission line that are used keep the signal from getting weaker with increased distance.

I read that the research was cancelled due to lack of enough funding. Very sad. But hey the Chinese discovered that stuff 3,000 years ago, so who cares.

Sorry for all this rambling but I figure you get the picture, don't you?

:)

Last edited:
Quick Question...

I was just wondering if doing squats helps much. I would think that weight training creates mostly slow twitch muscle fiber, where as it would be more efficient to have fast twitch.
Any thoughts?

~Picksmith

Originally posted by glennv
What is exactly the problem with doing them in bed ?? I had my max times lying on my back in bed

It is real dagerous for me, I fall asleep and forget all about everything.zzz

gerard said:
It is believed (and I agree with that) that acupuncture points along the meridians can act as amplifiers to maintain the strength of the current.
I learned about the schwan cells only some weeks ago. :) It's not exactly connected to the topic of your post, but I'm curious to know if you have an explenation for this.
I can't see the relation between meridians and nerve routs. I've been told meridians do not correlate with nerves routes on the body, so how does a needle stuck someplace else can affect the nerves?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT