• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

A little bit theory about shafts..

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Memo

Sep 1, 2003
Hi,
We all talk about how fast and long a 6 or 6.3 mm shaft will travel if loaded with proper bands. And we also know that overpowering a thin shaft causes wobbling which results in accuracy errors and also range problems...

What about using a relatively thicker (obviously more rigid) shaft (6.5mm) with a shorter lenght?

ex: The weights of a 150cm 6mm shaft and approximately 130cm 6.5mm shaft are equal (assuming the steel composition are same). Same way there will be 12cm difference between 6mm and 6.3mm shaft

What do you think about this?
:cool:

ps: edited to correct some nubers

Last edited:
It's all a matter of give & take...

For example, a thinner shaft is indeed much quicker; however, the impact & carry seems to suffer. It is also more affected by factors such as shooting line.

In dirtier vis. I use a shorter shaft & like the extra mobility it gives me for tracking; however, I have to adjust my aiming since I typically sight down the shaft to aim. Give & take.

yeah sure its a matter of give and take, but I assume that if 6mm shaft is ideal for the game that you are playing you could use 10cm short 6.3mm with increased rigidity...

Like I mentioned, it's a good combination - the only real side affect for me is aiming due to my personal method of what I find to be the most natural aiming.

I know Abri mentioned that he liked his shafts super short & he's an amazing diver.

I also read his posts about short shafts... I think I'll try a 10cm short shaft while keeping the overall weight same..

Thin shaft also has better hydrodinamic than thicker shaft weather shorter or longer.

yes sure, cross section will be larger but shorter and proportionally thicker shaft will give you some advantage

What fish are you planning on catching Memo???

I used a very short shaft one day after reading a few of the Rob Allen's Q & A's and found that for the first few metres it shot the same but I kept missing the longer shots.

Caught a 4 kilo sea bass that day under a pier at point blank range so I was quite happy though !!!!

I'm aiming for the fish about 5kgs range mainly AJ, little bullet tuna, sea bass and some smaller mullets.

you know my problem, G20 rubber is too tuff for the 6mm cressi spearshaft but I dont want to sacrifice my range by using a thicker shaft.

currently I'm using a 150cm-6mm shaft and I'm thinking of using a 6.3mm-140cm omer low profile one.

what do you think about it?

Hi Memo,

I use 6,3 mm from OMER in several of my guns. In my 96 speargun I use a 150 cm shaft with 20 mm bands. Super fast shot and deadly acurate. Go for the 150 cm you will have easy aiming and a steadier shot. Be sure to mis any rock!

Rock shooting is not an issue, as I'm doing very clear aspettos. I'm still in doubt getting a 140cm or 150cm 6.3mm.

I have a 160 6.5mm shaft on my 110 Picasso. With 20mm Picasso bands.

Short shafts tend to be innacurate on guns with no rail. The bend in the middle of the shaft needs to be compensated by a bit of overhang at the front.
Short shafts on no-rail euroguns will in theory shoot high.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT