• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

A little mermaid? :)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sumpa

Jan 2, 2004
I have an idea which i am surprised i have not seen discussed or even mentioned here. Why not make a "wetsuit-skirt" which covers both legs, so it will look like an good ol' fashion mermaid-fishtail? :) Except for the prideloss of us guys, i think that would be a great asset for freediving. The kick (this suit would only work with a monofin i suppose) would probably be much stronger or more efficient, since then it would actually be like one big monofin from the waist down..

Has anyone tried this, or is there even a commercial product out there somewhere?

And it would be so nice to see all underwaterphotos of people with a big monofin and a fishtail-suit... Heck, make it silver and paint scales on it, and then we have a REAL mermaid!! Now we're talking Homo aquaticus! And imagine what a gorgoues sight to see one of these sitting toppless on a cliff by the beach, singing and combing her long blond hair... :D

Just a thought about it.. as in practical... it would be a nightmare.. how would you get the air out, getting to the water would be a bitch too, I am sure there would be mass of people willing to help.. but I dont think it would do the job.. Nice mental image though... :)

Pekka

Body fairings

This idea first popped into my head in 1998, when I was getting more and more into performance freediving. To put on a 'skirt' would be inefficient as you would end up restricting the upwards and downwards motion of your legs. If you incorporated a keel (like sharks have at the base of their tails) into the deign and ensured that the material that this was made from neutral density material - yes, it could help.

The other half of the idea was to create a cone shape over the head and torso - not dissimilar from the principle of time-trial cyclists - this would probably have the greatest effect as the upper body is responsible for most of the drag due to the complexity of the shape over the head and neck.

Ben

Done it. works great, looks fantastic. it's a bitch to get in the water (i actually put it on and off in the water, or else i would have to hop up and down the beach) but who cares when you get to play merman. unfortunatelly i used a dodgy neoprene wich ripped on the stiching so i have to build another one. for someone like me who constantly fantasises about being a merman this suit was the best thing ever. make one and join the mernation... Noa

NOA,

After reading your post I checked your profile....You are way out on a limb "hanging on by a very thin thread" :)

I hope I see you out in the blue one day all kitted out as a merman....I think Jarques would have liked you.

ADR

Hi ADR,
so, way out on a limb ? yeah, most people think so, but that's who i am and it gets even more "out there" when you really get to know me. pitty we never met when i lived in Sydney (until past April) we could have dived together. based in Europe now, and i'm sure we WILL meet in the water some day. till then, take it easy mate... Noa

Hi Noa,

would have been great to dive with you here in Aus, pitty you aren't still here as I 've been working hard setting up a freedive club in Sydney and would have been great to get you along to show your suit. Please make contact if you come back even if just passing through.......strangely a mate of mine has been toying with the body suit concept as well and as he works in special effects he will no doubt make a really good one. I'll send you some pics if he doesn't mind when he is done.I haven't spoken to him in a while which this will prompt me to do. If you have any pics of your suit pls send them through as he'd be keen to see it as would I

homo delphinus regards

ADR

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT