• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

A little puzzled

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

BladeRunner

Mud Puddle Diver
May 20, 2002
I'm usually the last one in the world to complain, bitch or cry about anything. I've been searching for anyone in my area to train with for a long. I ran across someone who was a board member of AIDA USA and now one of the found members of USAA United State Apnea Association. I contacted him number of times inviting him to do some diving because onlythey live a short distance from me in Atlanta, Ga. I got a number of can't make it , I really don't freediver, I'm just Rep for the YMCA. I saw the person on the USAA photo area doing some pretty mean training for first Nationals! I wonder where he trains at in Atlanta? You think they would be excited about someone in a pretty much freediver dead area of the country contacting them interested some serious training and diving

I apologize ahead time if what I said is harsh

BladeRunner, I have been trying to contact you but I have not heard anything back yet. I am very interested in doing some pool training, and also possibly some actual diving after my typanoplasty. I will be back at Georgia Tech starting in August. We have the beautiful Olympic aquatic center there. Send me a line if you are still interested in a little bit of pool work.

pool training

Hey what's GTFREE and how many Members do you so far?

I'll send you a PM shortly. I'm interested in pool training but making it to GT to train will be challenging with my work schedule weekend would work but we can talk about the training schedule later. I hope the typanoplasty gets everything Squared way for ya!

BladeRunner OUT

Puzzled? The Answer!

Hi Bladerunner, it is I... Tec Clark! I can see why you are frustrated and puzzled by my absense in the local freediving scene yet active nationally. Allow me to explain.
When you contacted me a while ago I was at my wits end attempting to run the YMCA of the USA's Scuba Program, I was married with our first baby on the way. I was a Board Member of the AIDA USA but that was in spirit really - a legacy if you will from Mehgan Heaney Grier and I founding the US Freediving Team. I really did not do much as a Board member because my job at the Y was beyond demanding.
I was asked by Tanya Streeter to be the captain of the 2002 Team at the Pacific Cup in Kona. And after that wonderful, touching time out there I came back to Atlanta and gave my resignation to the Y. My daughter was born the next month and I became primarily a stay at home dad. I tought scuba at Emory University and Georgia State. I puffed-up like a toad (I got fat) and really did not do any training for any sports - especially not freediving.
Then in April of this year I attended, on a whim, a Performance Freediving Clinic in Miami. THAT TOTALLY brought back my passion for freediving. In fact, I even gave a freediving seminar for the Emory Scuba staff. But, I knew I was moving to Augusta, GA in two months. So, I still did not train for freediving.
I moved to Augusta (Evans) in June. And as a founding member of the USAA I assisted securing insurance for the National Competition. So, I planned to go to the Nationals as a volunteer and help out where needed. The day before the event I found out that there were more volunteers than competitors so I decided to enter as an athlete. Not having trained at all (other than going to the PFD clinic) I did everything totally conservative. I have been a freediving judge, a captain, a safety diver but had never participated in competitive freediving as an athlete. So I thought I would try it. And, as you can see by my results, I obviously do not train!!!!
However, I am here in Augusta now and I have been thinking about training. As you will also notice I have just joined DeeperBlue. I know, I know it is pathetic that I have not joined until now. In fact, now I see your posts looking for a buddy.
So, I am very sorry for the confusion and the length of my post, but I really wanted to explain why you have not heard from me. I am very excited to get together with you and train - and the Ga. Tech person too! I am only 2 hours away!!!!

Tec

I'm Soooo sorry Tec

Hey TEC I'm Really sorry for the post. I'm feel like an A$$Hat now!!! Please except my apology for post!!!

No problem bladerunner, I understand. So if you want to get together for some freediving send me an email.

As for USAA on the east coast - it will come about. The biggest thing was insurance for an event. We got that for the nationals. We have to work on a new policy for regional events. Also, we need a favorable location with pools and open water. Not every pool wants this kind of thing and east coast diving (like Florida) is definately seasonal for good conditions. So that means we have to have a whole cadre of folks in the location to prepare for this event. If I were to guess, I think early next year you will see a regional event take place in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. In fact, perhaps nationals would be there too.

There is a strong future for the USAA, good people, good mission. Are you a member? Have you taken any clinics? Would you like to train/dive together sometime?
Tec

Yeah you bet Tec I'm up for some training! I'm actually 3 1/2 hours from you but anyone I'm planning on going to Lake Jocassee in northwestern part of SC to do some spearing and freediving Saturday and Sunday. I'm going to try to get Friday off but not sure if that will workout. The is really clean with low boat traffic. It's big for scuba diving with great viz. If you want to meet there for training that would be cool. People actually know what that dive flag mean there too. LOL

Let me know if you want meet there for some training.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT