• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

a question about the audrey mestre incident

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

The111

Shallow Water Whiteout
May 29, 2004
This may have been raised before - if it was, I apologize.

I've seen discussions on here about the negative "security blanket" effect caused by carrying a spare air bottle while freediving. For the most part, I agree.

However, I was thinking about Audrey's incident the other day - did she have a spare air bottle on herself or the sled? If the answer is no - would having one have bought her the time she needed until better help could arrive?

I don't know enough to say if having a spare air bottle would have given her the needed time if she was using it to breath. However, it seems that a back-up tank to fill the lift bag certainly would have helped.

Jason

There is little need to carry a spare air since the freediver can breathe off their safety scuba diver's tank. Audrey could have taken a breath from Pascal's regulator.

If Audrey had taken a breath from a spare air, she would have blacked out within a few seconds, since breathing air at that depth is extremely toxic. Plus, she would barely even get one lungful at that pressure. What she should have had is what Loic Leferme uses; a spare air tank on the belt which is used to inflate his vest, in case the lift bag fails.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

An emergency breathing system is of no real use at those depths, like Eric says. Some kind of back up system would most likely have saved Audrey's life. The balloon's scuba tank had not been filled because Pipin forgot about it. If Audrey had been wearing a simple BCD with an attached pony bottle (hell, you see one on Jacques in The Big Blue), that would have done it.

But that's all if's...

Chris Engelbrecht, Copenhagen

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT