• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

A question about wet suits

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

gabbydiver

Feb 19, 2003
Hello all!
I'm looking to buy a new wet suit for freediving and I need to understand the plus and minus of Long John VS waistband trousers.What is my better option?(at some suits you can choose).

Many thanks for your time.

the big trouser sandwich

Just like to add some heat to the thread and say that I am also eager to hear from folks that have experience with the 'chicle sandwich' style suits. Is the seal that much better? Does your chest get colder from not having the added neoprene of the farmer-john? Is it worth the price :confused:? Inquiring minds want to know.

Last edited:
hi

I like long john beter because of the neoprene
But waistband trousers do have some advantages . It is easyer to breath just with your diafragm (not sure about spelling) and not the whole belly like moust begineers do.

just my toughts

Zipy

I've just ordered a high waist 3mm suit. I've always used farmer john types before. I think they're probably better for colder water where the extra insulation would be nice. W/ that extra layer they do tend to restrict your breathing at first then you get used to it. The mobility should be a bit better W/ a high waist suit. I'll let you know how mine works out. Should be getting it in about 3 wks.
Jay

High Waist

Everyone,

I like high waist pants better. In fact, if I somehow end up with long john bottoms, I cut them into high waist pants. I like the high waists better for 2 reasons: 1) I feel they are more versatile. When it's warm I like the reduced rubber around my chest and diaphragm and if it gets chilly, I can just throw on a 3 mm open cell vest underneath and it's just like I had a long john on. 2) I got scared at last year's Nationals (N. CA) because while scouting I was having personal problems and had to run in early every day to use the bathroom. I knew if that happened to me during the comp I'd be screwed (I can't undress myself from a 7 mm wetsuit while sitting on a kayak). So, I cut my 7 mm long johns into high waist pants and threw a 3 mm open cell vest underneath. This way I would be able to head Mother Nature's call while on the water if it became necessary and surprisingly I was just as warm if not warmer with the 3 mm vest and super high waist pants on then I had been with the farmer johns.

Scott T.

Hi,
I feel that farmer johns also allow a certain degree of versatility. i sometimes freedive when topmanning the boat for the scoobie doos, and its great to wear just the farmer johns. you have a lot of freedom of movement, and its nice and refreshing. it would be too cold for long dives at that particular spot, but there must be places where its warm enough for just a farmer john.

cheers

Mark

ps, scott, most of us are aware that answering nature's call makes things warm, if not warmer :D

Mark,

I wasn't talking about that Mother Nature's call. I was talking about the one you wouldn't want sitting in your wetsuit all day!!!!!

When it's really warm, I just wear my jacket with no pants. For me, I can't dive in just a farmer john because no matter how tight, it still balloons with water on my decent/accent.

Scott T.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT