• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

A question for Lingcod hunters

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I think the Euro gun Kale is talking about was mine and yes get a thick shaft for lings. The shaft on my omer t20 bent in half after I shot a big (medium) sheepshead. The fish swam about six feet into a cave wedged the spear and destroyed it. I LOVE my euro gun but a jbl with a thick shaft seems ideal. Just get the wood one, the metal one is the heaviest piece of crap.

The MT0 is pretty cool. I have one with an enclosed track - it is a vinyl insert and it makes the gun very quiet. Shooting with a 5/8 and a 9/16 band and a 1/4x34 shaft it is spot on two wraps out (12 feet). Such a short shaft is very difficult to bend but, obviously, you can vary the shaft/band config for different conditions. Also extremely sturdy and the trigger mech is unphased by sand.

I like a pole spear because wher i hunt ther is a lot of smaller fish. On an average dive i will get a limit of rockfish. Mostly 15 to 17 inch blues and a few black and yellows. Then i will go shallow and hunt the striped perch. On a good day i will get around 15 to 20 fish. A speargun takes to long to get the fish off and reload for this kind of hunting. But when i see that big ling again out will come my speargun.
Not to worry we eat all the fish, got a family fo five and a couple of old folks that cant dive anymore that love fresh fish.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT