• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

A rookie with some questions.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mark9989

Jan 16, 2002
I am a total rookie at this advanced stuff, buy have always been a regular Fla keys/Miami snorkler for lobster and stuff.
Anyways I came across this web page and have a few questions.

1. After doing the breathing techniques ( if i'm doing them right?) , I can now hold my breath from like 2:20 up from the usual 1:30, but I start that panic, burning, mind telling me to breath thing. So am I supposed to overcome that with all my will and It will pass? If so, am I supposed to do that while Im under water??????? Like if I'm 40 ft down and out of breath, i'm supposed to overcome that feeling and I'll have a lot more time????

2. Whats breath-up?

3. Theynsay your not supposed to hyper V , so whats the correct breath hold technique?
I usually breath slow in and slow out, relaxing as much as possible, then do a stomach medium suck, thena chest medium suck and dive. Is that ok???

4. With my new extra long cressi's, isnt the trick to get down as somewhat quickly as possible, or just very slowly pump with long stiff legged kicks?

Hey , thanks everybody.

Mark ( Miami Fla.)

staying in your body

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is going to answer any or all or your questions or if others will agree with what I say, but I'm forming the opinion that many of the freedive accidents occur because of partial states of dissociation. By this I mean loosing contact with the body or pushing onself as if from outside of our bodies. Our bodies give us incredible abilities under water, such as the dive reflex, and it appears to many that we are evolved for life in the water as well as land. By staying in touch with this ancient resource we are able to safely accomplish astonishing things. It strikes me that often divers push themselves to do what they think they should be able to accomplish or want to accomplish without staying in their bodies and listening to the ancient wisdoms. What I'm suggesting is associative diving is safer in the long run and is based on staying comfortable in your dive. Progress will be based on gradual advancement of your existing capabilities. To dive better, dive more often. Have fun and stay in touch with what you get from within.

My 2Cs,

FD48

Mark,

let me say you have come to right place to get info regarding freediving.

Take your time processing all the input and take one step at a time.

Your body will adapt to the new apnea challenges, don't rush into new training routines, what works for one can have the opposite effect on you.

Try and hook up with someone more experienced to train with.
Best way is to watch and learn.

My 2c!!

Rookie w/ ?

Hey Mark,

A year ago (almost to the day) I was in your same boat. I had the flu but went to my first freedive club meeting (YMCA Kona, Hawaii) and got involved with this apnea stuff. I went to the pool (by myself, big no no) tried a static, made it to 2:15. Met some people to train with in Feb. Also not knowing what a breathe up was, but was detemined to figure this crap out. I hit every web site I could find, talked with everyone involved in deep freediving I could talk to and 6 months later I was on the U.S. National Team. Please understand I'm not trying to brag, but I was able to take info from all the people and all the web sites and put it all together to make it work for me. FD48 and Hennie are both right listen to your body, if it needs air you'll know. Start really paying attention to how you feel at the point where you think you need air. Don't panic, relax and pay attention. Some people can over ride thier feelings and thats when they get in trouble. Try different breathing techniques until you find one that works for you. Don't rush!

A breathe up is a sequence of slow deep breaths starting from your belly and extending up into your chest also called a ventelation. This should not be labored. It should be as full, but comfortable as possible. It should be a longer exhale than inhale.

You should put some purges in near the end. Not a lot, but a few to blow off the excess CO2 build up. A purge is the same as a ventelation, but quicker, like blowing out a candle. Also longer exhale than inhale. If you start to feel tingling you should start your breath hold as soon as you feel it. NEVER DO THIS ALONE!

Hope this helps.
Remember take it slow.

DSV

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT