• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

a shark behavior

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mundial

love to hunt in silence
Dec 17, 2004
all that research really points out is the reporting of attacks that would have been unrecorded in the past as well as an enourmous increase in recreational swimming, diving, and surfing. Place a graph of population growth in the state of Florida to their shark attack records and you might be surprised at the conclusion you can draw from that information and the stuff you presented.

Reactions: Freediver81
rigdvr !!
how you find the reserch good or missing the point?? i did look at some other things its looks a bit fanny
the shark like:
taste of a male 74%
white skin !!! 80.6%
hight 174-190 60%
65 -84 kg 30%
age 25-29 22%
well the shark likes young white male 'tall not fat!!!
interesting ha

The links wont work for me so Im just looking at the attached graph...as for the shark prefering young white men age 25-29, I bet if you did a demographic of surfers and spearos youd get 80% of them falling into that category....statistics can be scewed to say whatever you want.

Many like to throw around stats like, "you are many times more likely to be killed by a domestic pig than a shark." While the numbers say it is truth, am I really? I have never seen a real live domestic pig, however I dive with large, aggresive sharks on a regular basis. AM I REALLY more likely to get killed by a pig? Farmer Joe might be but how many sharks does he encounter?

All studies are done to prove a point. Researchers know that they can make a study show whatever they want it to. Science has taken a backseat to appropriating funds and grants. Not trying to sound like a conspiracy theorist, its just whenever I read a "scientific" study, I make sure to research who performed the study, who funded it, who it is targeted at, and why. Just dont take science at face value is all im saying...

You are dead right Rig,
I have a questioning mind when it comes to all these figures.
I was looking at the shark attack files website and it basically said that stats reflected the fact that most reports come from developed nations which have the time and money to devote to counting these kinds of things.
that's maybe the reason you don't see many shark attacks in India for instance, or China both very populous nations that have coastline that could concievably contain large sharks.
All these stats are biased in some way , not necessarily in the form of lying but more in the countries which report these attacks.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT