• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

A Winter of No Freediving...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

laminar

Aug 13, 2001
This is my first winter away from freediving. I wonder how I'll feel when I finally slide my monofin into the ocean again and slip into the big green. How much will my ability to relax at depth suffer after 6 months in the Yukon?

I think I have a pretty good handle on what freedivers can do over the winter for "maintenance." Training I could do would include the following:

-statics
-negative pressure dives
-visualizations
-conditioning (swimming, gym, etc)
-technique practice (dynamic, static, constant weight for 2m!):D
-cross-training
-something completely different

And not to forget:
-watch lots of freediving videos
-hit my head on the bottom of my 7.5 foot pool like a deranged dolphin in captivity.
-whine to Anderson that the ice caps are taking their sweet time to melt, already!

Does anybody have any experience of a prolonged absence from deep water?

-My basic ability to hold my breath does not seem to have suffered much
-Negative pressure dives don't make me that confident about how I'll be at depth and I don't like doing them in a pool to full exhale (much prefer neutral lung dives to 10-20m)
-Diving deep by progression makes me more relaxed
-Of all the dives I did last year, did I manage to internalize the flow of an easy, calm dive?

I'm not looking for absolutes, but qualitative feedback on how it felt and what helped you the most to get back into the comfort of the water.

Of course, I'm visualizing that I'll feel right at home, and be happy to take it easy for the first little while until my ribcage and body get used to being squished again.

Pete

hyperbaric withdrawl

Dude,

you are in need of green. The cold dark water will sooth your deranged Canadian psyche. I feel the urge to submerge.

Fd48

H2O Withdrawl

Hi Pete,
It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on the things to do while you can't get into the real water. I don't do as much of those things as I should to keep in practice. I get bored easy. I haven't been in the ocean in a while but I'm suppose to meet up w/ Anderson in the keys next month. I've found that after being dry for a while that once I get back in the water things return fairly quick. I take my time and get used to the water again, I'm not that competetive so I don't have to be the first to get deep or shoot the first fish. I'm sure you'll do fine, where the desire is the body will follow. Take care and stay warm.
Jay

Thanks guys! :D

Who said patience was a virtue?

At this point I'm all for another thousand on the credit card and three weeks somewhere warm.

It's obvious Anderson has way too much time on his hands. Who ever heard of talking fish? :duh

PeteLaminar

Y'all don't know what yer missing! Heh, heh!

Pete the Seal Kisser

I was trying to get out to dive with Eric, Patrik, and Tony last weekend, but the last minute airfares doubled, and I couldn't afford it, but apparently Eric has bite-marks from 2000 lb Sealions all over his head and arms....care to tell us about it Eric (in Fdive Stories). It would be good for your image: people here are starting to think you're a machine ;) .
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Seal Kiss

Here it is:

:D

Pete

Attachments

• sealkiss.jpg
    sealkiss.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 343
Canadian FD team

Hi there,

Thanks for the pic. What with Erik's comments, I'm really starting to wonder if it isn't something other than the green water that draws you folks to diving.

Fd48

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT