• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ab Opening day success!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Cingene

Will Dive for Food
Mar 4, 2003
What a wonderful day my son and I had over in the northern part of the great state of California! We left early this morning in order to beat the crowd that usually accompany the first day of the ab season only to be surprised by ab divers who left earlier than we did to get to the best spots off highway 1. All my favorite spots were already crowded with bobbing heads and multi-colored floats and there was no place to park...have to rely on plan b...pay for parking that is . It's not too bad, only a half mile to walk and I would be on my way to my limit of the day. Wetsuit came on ...float in the water...oh no! We only brought one ab iron...curses...we will just have to share. Ten minutes, fifteen, TWENTY! My limit was filled. Three abalones over 7 inches, one about 9. Now it's my son's turn. One hour passes, two, THREE! He comes back in with a big smile...in the bouy his first ever catch of two 8 inchers!

What a day! My kid was finally taking a liking to the water, with a vengence and enthusiasm that I have almost forgotten. I would like to thank those other ab divers who gave my kid the push by telling us were the hot spots are and for just being such friendly people as always. I hope Santa Cruz will be open for ab diving next year for you guys. And thanks for the tip, you made my kid a happy new ab addict.

Last edited:
It tastes kind of like a really big opihi. ;) I still can't figure out how to cook the buggers & end up eating them all raw.

Nice job Cingene, wish I coulda rolled my butt out of bed to go with you guys!

Reactions: Cingene
Fuzz...haha...they have opihi there too...no need to eat the giant opihis...I was popping them out of the rocks for snacks...lucky the locals didn't see me.

Just cut in about 1/8 inch thickness, barely tenderize the buggahs, roll in flour ( and aim for the wet spot:naughty ), then in eggs (just like eggplants), then roll again in spiced breadcrumbs (I like garlic and herb spiced Progresso), then cook in medium heat olive oil 'til brown just like how yo Poragi braddahs would...:D (just kidding) then when brown serve with garlic butter sauce or even hollandaise ( same kind you put on the salmon, not the lome lome kind but the poached one) then I like with fried rice or rice pilaf...or freshly baked garlic bread.:p and then the white wine (although red wine also good)
fo drunk...:D You will have long sleep and what the China braddah said...long duck dong time, if ya know what I mean:hmm

Til next time...just ask the wild cook here.

Oh yeah...da fresh opihis taste very nice.

Last edited:
Who cares what they taste like...they're expensive! Just kidding. Abalones taste like calamari with a nutty after taste cooked...and as Fuzz said...opihi when raw ( I think they are the same family, I wonder if garden snail taste the same:p ...don't tempt me). Chinese cook them whole in chicken broth until tender (2 to 3 hours) then cut them up in slices cook again with vegetables (this is according to a friend at work). I have yet to try that recipe. Maybe I will give my friend one and get invited to dinner.

Last edited:
Cingene,
Your making me homesick now... we don't have abs here in the persian gulf and being a bay-area native, that is one thing I REALLY miss! although I am happy not to have the cold water :) Enjoy a few of those for me!

The water was actually in the low 60's that weekend. Will try again this Sunday...spearfishing this time around that area. I saw a lot of lingcods and cabezones. Oh yeah, Mr. Ranger says you can't shoot the green groupers anymore until further notice. He also agreed with my observation that it takes a lawyer to interpret the California Fishing Regulations. Have fun in Qatar Anton and don't worry you're not missing a lot over here. Just the traffic jams.

Congrat for the time you had in the water with your son cingene. We don't have ABs here, but we have snails and they are BIG:D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT