• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Abbelan band inserts

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Bill McIntyre

San Clemente, CA
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jan 27, 2005
Recently I bought an Abellan 120 with the excuse that I really should try a rear handle gun before I die. I can't really say for sure how it shoots since I don't have a pool and I can't seem to find clear water and a white sea bass. Maybe next time I'll try to execute a barracuda or smelt in the name of science. But I'm so enamored with the band inserts that came with it that I thought I should pass it along. No matter what brand of gun you shoot, these things are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Its just a stainless ball with a stainless wire loop on it. You don't need a band insertion tool. Just grab it with standard square ended pliers, lube up the ball a bit, and slide it in. If you use the small ID rubber, these are a must. I would have a hell of a time trying to get that big knot on 3 mm Spectra that I usually use for wishbones to go into that little hole. If you have a gun with with a closed muzzle and no wishbone slot in the muzzle, you don't have to tie the bands in the muzzle. You can just tie them anywhere you want, attach the wishbone to one end of the band, and pull it through the slot. If you want to remove bands and put them in the fridge, its easy. If you want to change the length of the wishbone to make your bands tighter or looser, its a piece of cake. Just use a longer or shorter piece of dyneema.

I'll confess that these are the only inserts I've ever used, but the others I've seen are not nearly as nice and convenient as these.

I ordered some extras and am using them to tie bands on every gun I own. I'll never go back. bandinserts.JPG insertts2.jpg

I have used Omer inserts before but they were bulkier, I like the look and simplicity of these ;)

Recently I bought an Abellan 120 with the excuse that I really should try a rear handle gun before I die. I can't really say for sure how it shoots since I don't have a pool and I can't seem to find clear water and a white sea bass. Maybe next time I'll try to execute a barracuda or smelt in the name of science. But I'm so enamored with the band inserts that came with it that I thought I should pass it along. No matter what brand of gun you shoot, these things are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Its just a stainless ball with a stainless wire loop on it. You don't need a band insertion tool. Just grab it with standard square ended pliers, lube up the ball a bit, and slide it in. If you use the small ID rubber, these are a must. I would have a hell of a time trying to get that big knot on 3 mm Spectra that I usually use for wishbones to go into that little hole. If you have a gun with with a closed muzzle and no wishbone slot in the muzzle, you don't have to tie the bands in the muzzle. You can just tie them anywhere you want, attach the wishbone to one end of the band, and pull it through the slot. If you want to remove bands and put them in the fridge, its easy. If you want to change the length of the wishbone to make your bands tighter or looser, its a piece of cake. Just use a longer or shorter piece of dyneema.

I'll confess that these are the only inserts I've ever used, but the others I've seen are not nearly as nice and convenient as these.

I ordered some extras and am using them to tie bands on every gun I own. I'll never go back.View attachment 42002 View attachment 42003

Thing is, i hate metal parts on rubber, sooner or later they WILL hit your fingers and then you will have a fun time. Regardless of this however, i wonder why do you use 3mm spectra? Use 2mm tops if you want and with some type of lube and good pointy nose pliers and its done in seconds.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT