• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Aberdeen Scotland - beginner spearfishing kit

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

hillyagain

Dec 19, 2018
I'm looking at starting spearfishing in Aberdeen in the new year - I need a complete set of kit for a beginner diving in these waters, anyone got any useful pointers?
Thanks

Take a look through this section - Beginner spearfishing - as this question has been answered several times before, in some detail.
People tend to concentrate on the speargun & dive knife and forget things like: safety float/buoy with diver-down flag, float-line, clips, fish-stringer, weight belt, lead weights. Mask, fins, snorkel, wetsuit, neoprene socks and neoprene gloves. I think that pretty much covers the essentials. Knife is somewhat optional, as you can use the spike on most fish stringers to dispatch fish (or even the end of the spear in a push).

You might need a bag to carry some or all of it (I use cheap swim bag ~£2 to carry smaller items). A small water bottle (for UK) - the throw away type are ideal - and you shouldn't be throwing away plastic these days! A towel. A bottle with wetsuit lube (a dilute solution of hair conditioner or shower gel seems quite popular) - talc or dunk yourself in water (sea or bottled).

I'm looking at starting spearfishing in Aberdeen in the new year - I need a complete set of kit for a beginner diving in these waters, anyone got any useful pointers?
Thanks

i would strongly consider 7 mm wet suit for your area, spearfishing is a lot about being calm and relaxed , both for breath hold and for getting close to the fish... if you are not cold you can concentrate a lot more on everything else :)
Also consider that you will be wearing 3-5 mm socks when you want to buy your fins and use the thinnest gloves you can to improve your handling and tactile feel. I would suggest 5 mm socks and 3 mm gloves for you.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT