• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Absolute beginner questions

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

drin

Sep 13, 2004
Hi all! I've been lurking here for a few months, but it's time to bombard you with my questions. Please forgive any stupidity I may exhibit...

I'ma long-time SCUBA diver, but my breath hold diving stinks. I'm 38, about 30 pounds too heavy (was 70 a year ago but I'm working my tail off, literally). 1000 m fin swim, one hour on an elliptical trainer and 2 mile run 5 times a week. I'm starting yoga in September and I've ordered Pellizzari's book, which will take about a month to get here.

I'm in Japan (my wife is in the US Navy), I know NO freedivers here, and the local pool won't allow breath hold training. Not that I'd do it on my own anyway. There are no courses I can find anywhere around here in English.

I'm trying to increase my dry static and dry dynamic times - they're pitiful (less than a minute each). If I try breath hold in the ocean I get to about 5 meters and can't equalize any more - too painful.

I'm looking for any hints, training tips, techniques, or pointers I can use to increase my times, improve my eq-ing, and in general get better prepared for when I *can* get in the water, which will be next year when we transfer back to the U.S.

Thanks for reading my rambling post, and for any help you might offer!

-drin

Well drin, I have good news you came to the right place!

There are many topics that you can read by using the search feature in the forum. For equalization you should try learning "Frentzel" which is described in detail by Eric in a word document: http://www.ericfattah.com/frenzel.doc

To improve your dynamics with dry trainning, some basic things you can do is apnea walking, static bike apnea. For example to build up CO2 tolerance in the static bike I hold my breath for 30 sec and breath for 30 sec. You can change the ratio of hold to rest to whatever suits you best but the idea is to maintain your CO2 levels high. To improve statics search for "static tables" and you can use this program to train: http://forums.deeperblue.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=4302

You can also search for "packing" which is just a way to push more air into your lungs. But you must be carful when you are starting because you could black out if you over do it, so start slowly and eventually you will be able to pack more. This is very simple and you can learn how to do it in Eric's document also (at the end).

Another thing to search for are "breathups" and "relaxation techniques" to get ready for a hold. But everyone is different and in the end you will just have to find what suits you best. The cool thing about being a rookie is that you will see a lot of improvement real fast. Everything I mentioned you can practice without getting in the water.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepThought
drin said:
I'm in Japan (my wife is in the US Navy), I know NO freedivers here

Don't know if it is any help as to what you are after but there is one site I found posted on an aussie forum. It might be worth contacting these guys but I think they are spearos. Go to: This site

Catchya, Lachlan

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT