• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Acidic / alkaline myth ??

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Baking soda will not make your statics any longer if you are already good in static. It might delay the contractions, but it will not extend the time to BO.

Ha ha. Its information like that you wish you had heard the night before rofl

It will exponentially decrease the time it takes to go from needing the toilet slightly to soiling yourself if that helps Chris :blackeye

Several statements posted in this thread are not precise enough:

The 'doctor' who wrote the article is completely mistaken. The entire medical community knows that the condition called 'gout' is caused by excess uric acid in the blood stream, caused primarily by eating too much protein, especially shellfish.

The excess of uric acid does not mean that the blood is excessively acidic, uric acid is in the equilibrium with its' salt at the normal pH 7.4. The excess of uric acid precipitates in the organism with unfortunate consequences, but it does not lower the pH of the blood.

Citric acid is acidic, but makes your body more alkaline. This is true of almost every fruit you can eat. Your stomach neutralizes the citric acid and it becomes citrate. Citrate is a precursor to bicarbonate. Similarly, instead of eating lemons or citric acid, you can take sodium citrate or potassium citrate, which I have also tried. It has the same effect except is more gentle on your teeth.

In terms of pH, citric acid and citrates are two completely different entities: while citric acid is an organic acid, which lowers pH, citrates are its' salts which indeed can increase pH (triple natrium salt of citric acid is basic). However, the organism must invest an effort (in terms of buffering) in order to neutralize citric acid (i. e. to transform it to the sodium salt). This can not be done in the stomach, because it is strongly acidic (contains even free hydrochloric acid, which would immediately convert any organic salts into free acids). It is only after, in the intestines, where pH increases.

The most important buffers in the blood are bicarbonate anion and hemoglobin (some plasma proteins also play a role). Any acid in the blood stream is neutralized by bicarbonate anion, which is thus transformed into carbonic acid. Hemoglobin binds carbonic acid, takes it to the lungs, where it is eliminated as CO2. Thus, from the chemical point of view, taking acids (like citric acid) before a dive does not make sense. However, the human physiology might be more complicated (with respect to simple chemical logic), and it may be that the intake of acids activates some defense mechanisms, which increase buffering capacity.

As of taking sodium-bicarbonate in order to increase pH - it is immediately neutralized in the stomach with the production of large amount of gaseous CO2, which induces bad feeling and problems with digestion. It might have some effect with respect to increasing the pH in the blood, but this is an agressive and unhealthy way to do that, and it should be avoided.

Radomir

Last edited:
Reactions: trux
Cheers apenaboy ill go oh natural from now on i think. Good to be the lab rat for everyone else though. Dont say i dont do anything for the freediving community! Oh excuse me i have to go to the toilet again.
Posted via Mobile Device

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT