• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Advice Fins! About 50eu budget

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

snask

Sep 25, 2020
Hello! New here and hoping for some experience and knowledge with brands and models.

First I guess its best to know its for spearfishing and not going deep.
I am looking in the 30-50$/eu area and found some that look good but I have no idea if they are.
I would like to hear if anyone know how the quality is on these, durability and performance.
Oh if you know some better offer that ships worldwide please add it.

Cressi Gara Pro LD €45
Mares Concorde €50
Seac S700 €45
Beuchat Mundial One €50

Medium blade
Seac Talent €35
Beuchat Mundial One 50 fin €40

I assume that all shorter fins are quite rigid and takes to much energy to kick?

hey buddy!
Welcome to the forum.
IMO fins are one of those things you wanna get right on the first go specially if you are watching your pennies. So I would personally get a cheap pair of fins if you can’t spend much and save the spare cash for a proper pair once you have decided the kind of diving you wanna do ( blue water, coastal, etc)
Getting used to your setup, diving location, gear, technique, etc is way more important than how deep you can go.
Back to fins, do lots of research before buying and make sure those pockets fit well, there is no point is pending 700 quid in a pair of pure carbons if the pockets give you cramps after 30 minutes. Also be realistic about the type of diving you will do. I for example, prioritize durability before efficiency, as I like coastal rocky fishing in areas of considerable turbulence/current. In these conditions, a pair of pure carbons would last as long as a fart in a basket.

welcome and happy hunting!

hey buddy!
Welcome to the forum.
IMO fins are one of those things you wanna get right on the first go specially if you are watching your pennies. So I would personally get a cheap pair of fins if you can’t spend much and save the spare cash for a proper pair once you have decided the kind of diving you wanna do ( blue water, coastal, etc)
Getting used to your setup, diving location, gear, technique, etc is way more important than how deep you can go.
Back to fins, do lots of research before buying and make sure those pockets fit well, there is no point is pending 700 quid in a pair of pure carbons if the pockets give you cramps after 30 minutes. Also be realistic about the type of diving you will do. I for example, prioritize durability before efficiency, as I like coastal rocky fishing in areas of considerable turbulence/current. In these conditions, a pair of pure carbons would last as long as a fart in a basket.

welcome and happy hunting!

Thanks!

Yes I am looking for durability! I cant shell out money every other year to replace bad equipment. So good quality over performance for sure!

I can stretch budget a bit, saw Cressi Gara 3000 LD if this is a recommended fin for spearos? Trying to find info online there is contradicting stuff everywhere, some say sizes are small others big. Fins are soft, fins are stiff. So difficult to get conclusive information :confused:

Most or all of the fins you mention have permanently fixed blades, which is ok but you will not be able to change blades if you break one (as I did) or wish to change to harder/softer/different coloured blades or upgrade to fibre glass and/or carbon blades.

On the other hand, damage to plastic blades is fairly uncommon and repair spares are often so expensive esp. with shipping that it is barely worth while unless you love your current fins. And Upgrade blades are usually more expensive than a new pair of name brand fins with carbon blades!

The brands and models you mention are all worthy of consideration.

I use Beuchat Competition fins. They are known for robustness. Said to fit narrow feet, they fit my deep, broad feet well - so perhaps just an all round good fit? The side rails are different to most brands though, so extra cutting is usually required to fit after-market blades.

Omer foot pockets are supposed to be good. Mares(Razor?) seems a popular platform for aftermarket blades currently.

I had to buy some short spearo fins in the Summer, Apnea brand from Turkey (a longer version is available). The foot pocket is very big for stated size, they worked well but lacked some of the oomph of my full size fins. My suggestion would be to go for longer, softer fins, with emphasis on softer.

Most or all of the fins you mention have permanently fixed blades, which is ok but you will not be able to change blades if you break one (as I did) or wish to change to harder/softer/different coloured blades or upgrade to fibre glass and/or carbon blades.

On the other hand, damage to plastic blades is fairly uncommon and repair spares are often so expensive esp. with shipping that it is barely worth while unless you love your current fins. And Upgrade blades are usually more expensive than a new pair of name brand fins with carbon blades!

The brands and models you mention are all worthy of consideration.

I use Beuchat Competition fins. They are known for robustness. Said to fit narrow feet, they fit my deep, broad feet well - so perhaps just an all round good fit? The side rails are different to most brands though, so extra cutting is usually required to fit after-market blades.

Omer foot pockets are supposed to be good. Mares(Razor?) seems a popular platform for aftermarket blades currently.

I had to buy some short spearo fins in the Summer, Apnea brand from Turkey (a longer version is available). The foot pocket is very big for stated size, they worked well but lacked some of the oomph of my full size fins. My suggestion would be to go for longer, softer fins, with emphasis on softer.

Thank you for extensive info!
I am very far away from any fancy carbon blades, probably will never go there. According to a webshop all these fins except cressi are medium, while cressi is soft. I now actually think about mares razor pro vs cressi 3000. Mares is slightly more but replaceable blade if damaged is smart for long term budget! A bit concerned that the standard plastic fin is stiff according to some reviews. But

Reactions: Mr. X
... also Gara has the modular range :LOL:.

Ok I guess this is down to trying the actual footpockets.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT