• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Advice gun around 150eu

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

snask

Sep 25, 2020
Hello! New here and hoping for some experience and knowledge with brands and models. And some stupid questions :)

The conditions are Mediterranean and quite good visibility, 5-10m and more. The fish are mostly small like Dorada, but it would be best if it can take medium sized as well if that happens.

Something I wonder is the length of the gun, is it only about the size spear/power and thus fish you can catch or is the length helping with accuracy or getting closer to the fish?

After some research I found these looking good with their setup.

75-100 Salvimar Metal incl reel: 160eu. (Some posts of trigger issues?)
75 Salvimar V Pro incl reel. 130eu

75-100 Epsealon Striker incl reel 130eu

82 Sigalsub Nemesis Pro incl. Reel 160eu
76 Sigalsub Nemesis. 120eu

Adding cressi Cherokee ocean to the mix. 170eu.

Sorry dont know how to edit post.

Anybody have experience with any of these or heard from others what is good/bad?

5m-10m visibility, are you sure? Might need a longer speargun than those above.

For the Med I believe 90-110 are common sizes, so 90 or 100 might be a good place to start. Reels are popular there too but a float-line is probably a better, cheaper, simpler, safer way to start.

I'm a fan of carbon barrels ;)

5m-10m visibility, are you sure? Might need a longer speargun than those above.

For the Med I believe 90-110 are common sizes, so 90 or 100 might be a good place to start. Reels are popular there too but a float-line is probably a better, cheaper, simpler, safer way to start.

I'm a fan of carbon barrels ;)

Well visibility is often fantastic, but will not take a shot that long ofc, and some days its just a few meters and you get fish close up.
Many guns sell for same price regardless of size so I will choose 90-100. But between these brand and models, what is proved good among divers? I understand divers have different preferences when it comes to features, spec and how the grip fit etc but there must be some build quality at least, barrel and trigger must be well made or the rest is just useless i figure. Like some are made in italy while others are made in china maybe?

Some recent reports of Cressi spears breaking at the sharkfin welds - search this forum for details. Much worse yet, they did not replace them (USA). Can't recommend products from a company that won't stand behind their products.

Some recent reports of Cressi spears breaking at the sharkfin welds - search this forum for details. Much worse yet, they did not replace them (USA). Can't recommend products from a company that won't stand behind their products.

That is very bad for the brands rep! But Italians are famous in all fields to have bad customer care i think, unfortunate combination that Made in italy is very well respected thing in general.

Reactions: Mr. X
Yes, I too admire the craftsmanship - and friendliness - of the Italians:love:. Big fan. I am the delighted owner of 2 Omer XXVs.

The non-service problem was likely the US reseller/distributor. I'd like to think Cressi.it would see their customer right, straight away. It's their reputation in the gutter.

American companies normally have very good customer service in my experience and they have the "Better Business Bureau" to deal with those that don't.

Last edited:
In the Med. I use a 75cm with 6.5mm spear and 2X16mm bands around reefs, inside rocks and caves. I change the number of bands used in the shot (1 or 2 16mm bands) depending on the size and distance of the fish I am targeting. I have used it for smaller reef fish, groupers (big ones) inside big holes. If I am going to deeper waters and/or hunting mostly in "open water" around grass, I use a 105cm (I also have a 90cm for in between). In short, you will need at least two different length guns with different power. Eventually, I'll get a 115/110cm gun for strictly open water fish (7 or 7.5mm spear and 3X14mm bands).

In short, start with a 75cm gun for reef/cave diving to catch reef fish (including big groupers hiding in their holes/caves) and go for a bigger gun 100/105cm later when you are ready and see the need for it.

Note: I haven't been able to catch a dentex with 75cm and had to use the 105 to be able to catch it. For amerberjack, same thing, 100cm. They are too fast and big for a 75cm gun. Groupers are generally stupid and hangout in their dens waiting for you to see them.

Sigalsub is many steps above Cressi or Salvmar. I'd wouldn't even look at the Cressi or Salvmar when Sigalsub is there. If you can afford the carbon Sigalsub, go for it especially if buying a 100cm or bigger gun.

Reactions: snask
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT