• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Advice needed

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Yoho

Oct 8, 2017
I’m in the market for a gun, I don’t know what to get I’m liking the RA range not sure if I get the sparid, tuna or Scorpia just one more to the mix the marlin Oceania

This gun will be used for a bit of everything

Yoho, What size of fish are you hunting? I used to have an RA Sparid and it has many features that I like, not least flexibility (you can add a second band or switch to a 20mm rubber) and robustness (exceptionally strong). It is quite big and heavy gun by modern standards. If you are going for a lot of big fish and need double-bands go for the Tuna (but with 2 rubbers & a thicker spear it will be heavier and take longer to load) but I found the Sparid more than powerful enough for the UK fish (I tried 1x20mm rubbers for several years but came to the conclusion that I prefer the 16mm rubber - 16mm bulk rubber is much more powerful than 16mm or even 18mm screw-in bands and is much pleasanter to use than 20mm). 2x14mm is another option to consider (popular in Hawaii).

The Scorpia is probably a perfectly good speargun and probably more than good enough for most spearos most of the time but, I just find it unexciting and it looked like they'd cut too many corners last time I looked at it (the black and white photos are probably intended to convey that feeling! :D). I think it risks devaluing the RA brand - it certainly doesn't have all of the features I expect from RA. Would prefer to see them lower the price of the Sparid & Tuna and bring the carbon barreled models more to the fore. A speargun can last you decades, so if you can afford it, I would go for the Sparid over the Scorpia - it will be easier to resell too (I sold mine on) but if you can't or don't want to spend so much, get a Scorpia (. or Omersub or Beuchat), it'll be fine. The RA lifetime warranty is worth having and tells you a lot about Rob Allen and his company.

The Beuchat Mundial Oceania looks like a copy of the SA railgun - nothing wrong with that & Beuchat products I own seem good to me (except their crappy lightweight muzzle bungee - not a problem on the Oceania). I like the open/close muzzle feature - the video below is wrong, this nice feature has been available on some Omersub models for years (e.g. XXV & several Cayman models)

BTW Visibility and therefore speargun length is far more important than the actual model of speargun -- so whatever you buy, make sure you get a suitable length. If conditions vary a lot, you might need 2 spearguns, 1 short and 1 long.

I would like to chase snapper, but for now it’s just about getting out there and getting anything really

Yeah I really liked the beuchat video but I didn’t want to get all caught up in the marketing

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT