• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question Advice on a Course for a Beginner w/Strong Apnea Skills

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

TimEllis

May 1, 2022
Hello. I am traveling to the Philippines next month and want to start training in freediving. I have never taken a course in freediving. But I have done free diving quite a bit, probably to depths of around 20 ft, while snorkeling in the past.

I noticed that many of the freediving courses on offer emphasize skills that I have already mastered, like a two-minute static breath hold and swimming horizontally underwater for 50m. I have been doing CO2 tables and also apnea swims, and I've already done a 3-minute breath hold and could probably do a bit more. I can swim horizontally on the bottom of a 13fth-deep pool for about 100 seconds. I feel like it would be a waste to take a beginner's course where others are just learning these skills, but on the other hand I need to gain basic freediving knowledge (about safety, etc.) and improve my technique under the supervision of experienced divers.

What should I do? Is there a course that caters to folks like me, rather than those just starting out with breath holding and the like?

Many thanks,
Tim

Hi ' TimEllis

Please look at my #4 there

don’t forget to choose English subtitles

I need to gain basic freediving knowledge (about safety, etc.) and improve my technique under the supervision of experienced divers.
I think you've summed up why you need a level one course, you'll be surprised how experienced some of the people in your class are and of course aside from safety and technique there is a lot of science and physiology. .

I don't think any reputable training school would sign off on a level two if you couldn't show proof of a level one course. However, I have seen liveaboard trips where you can knock out Wave 1&2 on the same trip provided you can pass. Check the area in the Philippines you are going to and see what's available. Good luck!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT