• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Aerobic vs Anaerobic+Frequency

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

robbyzuniga

Roberto Zuniga
Mar 25, 2004
I´ve read in many posts that runing or jogging is not so effective in freediving. I´ve seen in many posts that apnea walking is beneficial.

I kind of like just swimming underwater with my fins on, a number of laps one hour, two or three times per week. If freediving is anaerobic in nature, what specific training is effective not only to increase your breath holds but also stay fit!!!! Which aerobic training can you use that will not interfere with your apnea?

Being overtraining a concern to many athletes, how frequent do other freedivers train? What type of freediving training do you use to stay in athletic shape?

Roberto

Roberto,

You have stumbled upon a very good question, and the answer isn't know exactly.

I find that aerobic exercise isn't so harmful if you start with anaerobic exercise. So, these days I do 20 minutes of apnea hiking, followed by 30 minutes of cardio hiking, and even at the end of the cardio hiking, my body still doesn't feel like it is in 'cardio/aerobic mode.'

The 20 minutes of apnea hiking is not 'enough' exercise to make me feel good and in shape, so this pattern (20+30) is a compromise for me. Still, I don't think I can do it more than two or three times a week (too stressful on the body).

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Nice observation Eric. I sometimes get puzzled because for example I see Tania´s Streeter routine and does a lot of cardio. On the other hand, I once read that Sebastien Murat does no cardio at all.

In general I find beneficial just being relaxed with some type of meditation, weightlifting to also stay in shape, avoid stimulants etc. .. I think apnea hiking is more intense compared to regular apnea walking and jogging won´t hurt so much if you don´t overtrain.

Roberto

Every training piramid is built on a foundation of aerobic training to prepare the body for the stress which anaerobic training put's on it. So it 'd bee obvious, to me at least, that anyone who is aiming to reach his full potential in apnea training 'd benefit from an aerobic training - at least in a preparation phase (build p.).

If anaerobic training is done on a right intensity, it should not be overdone. For a person who isn't used to a daily training of at least 5h; a three sessions of a anaerobic training a week is toooo much.
You are either not doing it hard enough (almost aerobic capacity training)- translates into a mediocre end performance.
Or are overdoing it and 'll end up not improving at all, burnt, etc...
:head
Listen to your body... (in these computer/robo age a greath task to master)

Sash,
exTri

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT