• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Again, newer version of the Crazy Pneumatic !!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Iyadiver

Mr. Long Post
Apr 22, 2002
My custom pneumatic friend is a real Mr Experimenter.

I told him I want a very thick & heavy shaft since the
custom pneu gun is only 115cm long.

I did not get to test this gun, I have not been able to get
decent 30 feet viz in over a month.

However he managed to test it a a spring water pond,
that is one superb clearity. I told him I want 10 meter
or 33 feet test and free shafting to reduce shooting
line induced accuracy error.

His testing at 7 meters or 23 feet is said to be within
2-3 inch grouping with shooting line attached. If you
care to notice why the shooting line attachment is a
double mono instead of a single mono, his testing
had the same result as mine previously.

When using a single mono connection on the shaft,
the shaft will err to one side A LOT !!! It is as though
as a heat seeking missile !!! My last test showed
that at 6 meter, the shaft went left and not a bit
but at least some 60 degrees turn !!! It was then
only a 12mm shaft, his test with this 16mm shaft
produced the same error too.

Since pneu shaft is totaly inserted in the firing
chamber, the only problem I am facing now is
accuracy which is bad because of the shooting
line attachment. Power wise this is latest gun
will put a Riffe Blue Water to shame. I told the
designer to hit a rock from 10 meters and he did.
The result was awesome. 1.5 inch of the 16mm
shaft tip was bent in such a way, I am sure the
impact was incredible.

Accuracy in free shafting mode was a good 3 inch
at 10 meters, but untill I and him figure out a way
to attach a shooting line without much accuracy damage..............I can't use this gun.

The black floater wing is an emergency set up,
made of low density foam.

The gun in photo is compared to my 127cm Riffe
#2 Standard.

Last edited:
Reactions: fuzz
Shaft comparison

Top shaft is a 9/32" ( 7mm ) Hawaiian
Middle shaft is for the Crazy Pneu at 16mm or 5/8"
Bottom shaft is 3/8" or 9.5mm

Notice the o-ring on the pneu shaft, it is for dry firing.

The shaft has no speartip yet because I want him to get accuracy result without being effected by a given spear head/tip design, thus it was grinded down simply as a sharp point.

Last edited:
16mm!

iya, isnt it illegal to hunt whales?

so is the slide ring no good for attachment?

Griff, I was told by a local scientist that the great great grandfather of the Great White is still roaming my dive spot, hence I need this canon....:D

Well this is just an experiment to push the design limit of pneumatic spearguns. I also want a 115cm gun to out shoot if not equal a 170cm 6 banded Tuna gun, for the technical thrill and less effort of re-loading.

I don't know if it is because of the shaft launch speed or whatever, this shaft is sensitive to installation of the slide ring. Since there is no loading tab on this shaft, it is difficult to make a reliable shooting line attachment.

There is another sligthly smaller shaft he gave me with a special slide ring that acts as sealing gland to keep the firing chamber dry, as required. But during the test it sometime damage the o-ring on the shaft, and thus water will enter the firing chamber, the gun MUST have a dry firing chamber to be this powerful.

It is so fun to watch this gun evolves......:D :eek: Maybe another one or two years, it should be perfected.

Are you meant to hold it or mount it on a boat or underwater scooter...??? :hmm

Seriously but, how will the recoil be absorbed, other than by a snapping wrist? Or are you adding ballast to the tube?

The recoil is Ok with two hand hold underwater , the gun is heavy at 4kg. It is still within limits.

I filled it with water on land and shoot it while squatting....I fell backwards !!!! The water spit out to 12 over meters to my house wall... he he he.

Ahoy,

At least I can use it as a water gun.....:D , but it will go thru a plastic pail at 2 meters or break a car window at 0.5 meter just by the water spit.....:eek:

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT