• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

AIDA playing cards update

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

CEngelbrecht

Oct 31, 2002
The AIDA cards project is getting close to a production phase. The current version of the set can be seen at http://www.hfk.dk/_AIDAfulldeck2_reduced.jpg (4mb).
Many of the pics in here are still unconfirmed. If any of you have the rights for the pictures involved and wish to grant it for this project, it'd be nice if you'd contact me. Also contact me, if you have good alternatives to the pics in question.

We still lack a few data on the divers presented. If you any of the below, please contact me:
Dave Mullins: Birth date & place
Jessica Wilson: Birth date & place
Ennio Falco: Birth and death date & place
Sara Campbell: Birth date & place
William Winram: Birth date only
Raimondo Bucher: Death date & place (he was still alive as of 2000 in one source??? Is he still around?)
Robert Croft: Birth date & place
Karla Fabrio: Birth date & place
Frédéric Buyle: Birth date & place
Americo Santarelli: Birth and death date & place
Chatzistathis: Birth and death date & place

Also, please contact me if there are any errors in the deck, etc.

Reactions: trux
That's pretty weird. Now we'll be able to see our competitors in the cards while wasting away time at competitions.

Feel a bit sorry for Ryuzo with his 8.9L residual lung capacity... :)

Sara Campbell birth date - 30th March 1972, place - Banbury, UK

Cards, presents etc can be sent to me in Dahab, c/o Alf Leila Hotel! :)

I was unable to download the link - Chris can you send me anything that relates to me direct to my email - sara@sarafreediver.com - and I'll get back to you with pics if necessary xxx

Chris,
There may be some misunderstanding in Pipin's card regarding his second last name "Ferreras". It doesn't mean "Iron Man" in Spanish. Iron Man would be "Hombre de Hierro". Spanish people usually have two last names, the paternal one first and the maternal one second, so Ferreras should be his mother's last name - if that's the right order! I've also seen it as Francisco Ferreras Rodriguez in another press article. You could probably check with Sierra. "Voluntad férrea" means iron will, but it's not the same spelling. You probably got it from wikipedia, but it's a perfect example of not beliving everything one reads on the internet! :).

Hi Chris, That photo of Dave Mullins was taken by me, You can use the photo for the project. I'll try and find the original full resolution photo and send it to you. Seamus,

Hi Chris,

Bucher only recently passed away (September 10th this year) at the age of 96, Wikipedia says he was Rome.

I wondered why I couldn't find anything about it anywhere. I didn't believe he was still around. I was saddened to read it, would've loved to meet him. Thx for the heads up and links.

That's pretty weird. Now we'll be able to see our competitors in the cards while wasting away time at competitions.

Funny you should say that, that's exactly how the idea started. Around a poker game in a Sharm hotel during the 2007 worlds, waiting for the results lists.

Oh, bloody h... What word am I looking for, Vital Capacity?

Sara Campbell birth date - 30th March 1972, place - Banbury, UK

Cards, presents etc can be sent to me in Dahab, c/o Alf Leila Hotel! :)

I was unable to download the link - Chris can you send me anything that relates to me direct to my email - and I'll get back to you with pics if necessary xxx

Thx for the update, Sara.
I've attached your card as of current design, hope you can see it. It doesn't have to be this exact picture, if you have a good one of yourself we can use.

My E-mail is c.h.engelbrecht@gmail.com

Chris,
There may be some misunderstanding in Pipin's card regarding his second last name "Ferreras". It doesn't mean "Iron Man" in Spanish. Iron Man would be "Hombre de Hierro". Spanish people usually have two last names, the paternal one first and the maternal one second, so Ferreras should be his mother's last name - if that's the right order! I've also seen it as Francisco Ferreras Rodriguez in another press article. You could probably check with Sierra. "Voluntad férrea" means iron will, but it's not the same spelling. You probably got it from wikipedia, but it's a perfect example of not beliving everything one reads on the internet! :).

I struggled figuring out what's up and down on that one. I think it's still OK.

Hi Chris, That photo of Dave Mullins was taken by me, You can use the photo for the project. I'll try and find the original full resolution photo and send it to you. Seamus,

Thanks a million, I love that "What ever" picture. My E-mail address is written above.

Hello Chris.

Umberto Pelizzaris Nickname is "Pelo", not "Peli".

Duly edited, thanks.

Attachments

• He10.jpg
    He10.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
I've seen people blow 12 litres of air out into a spirometer (including packing, though). 9 litres of "breathing capacity" I don't think is impossible.

9 liters is perhaps not impossible, but already rather extreme as VC, and I do not think it is the case at Ryuzo. I may be wrong, of course.

PS: And normally you do not count packing to the TLC or VC values. Though it is always interesting to know what the packing gives.

I didn't realise, he's actually been doing FRC dives all this time. Which makes him the first FRC diver past 100m!

I think Ryuzo packs a couple of litres so 8.9l VC with packing sounds about right. Whether packing should be included in a 'VC' measurement is another story, but people tend to do it these days.

Well, let's be investigative scientific and let's use the information available on Ryuzo's website to find out the truth. He writes he is 181 cm tall, and that the lung capacity (not telling which one) is 133% of the predicted value. The formula for the predicted Total Lung Capacity for males of caucasian descent is as follows:

TLC = 7.99 * height [m] - 7.08 [l]

At the height of 181 cm, it would give predicted TLC = 7.99 * 1.81 - 7.08 = 7.3819 l

For males of asian origin the value is 10-15% lower. Let's take 10% - it means the predicted TLC for Ryuzo would be 0.9 * 7.38 = 6.64 l

133% of 6.64 l is 8.83 l, which pretty well matches the 8.9 l of (until now unknown) lung capacity. The conclusion is: the undefined Ryuzo's lung capacity must be the Total Lung Capacity (TLC) :)

Last edited:
Back to topic...

Great deck... when is it ready for (pre)orders? ;)

-J

I haven't thought about pre-order. Let me get back to you on that.

BTW, does anyone have contact info for Roland Specker?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT