• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

AIDA rules/dynamic question.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Tahoe Diver

Dec 30, 2004
The AIDA rules say that in dynamic apnea the diver's head must be at least 1.5 meters from the pool wall at the start of the dive. Does this mean that you can't push off from the wall? The rules say that you can push off when you reach the other side of the pool...

I've never seen a pool competition and I don't want to start out the wrong way. If someone would let me know how to start a Dynamic swim with and without fins, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Hi,
due to the rules you have to start the dive (submerge respiratory tracts) not further away from the wall that 1,5m. So 1,5m is the maximum distance you have to start your dive. Of course you can push off the wall.
Good luck + have fun !
Veronika

Also, pay attention to the fact that at the end of your performance, your airways must surface BEFORE you grab the side of the pool (or the lane), otherwise you will get a penalty. This is something that very few athletes (and judges) pay attention to.

While we're on subject, also note can also break the surface only 5m before a turn.

Meaning if you stop your dive and come up, you must stop right away. No surface swimming even if you keep your resipratory tracts under the surface. Also not all judges even realize this, but I heard "someone" got DQd for that :)

Tricky thing those damn rules...

Hi Simo,

I haven't seen anything saying that you can break the surface 5m before a turn - is this part of the old rules or the soon to be new ones?

I came close to breaking the surface at training tonight, I never thought i'd have to worry about it until now!

Cheers,
Ben

Rule 9.12 (dynamic apnea) states:
The athlete should remain completely submerged during all the performance, except during the 5 meters before and after each turn, where any part of the body can emerge, except respiratory tracts.

I know one case where someone going for 139 (or there abouts), broke the surface 2 meters prior and was thus DQd. Personally I think that's not the purpose of this rule, but rules are rules...(I think he should've been awarded points for 137 meters, not DQd)

Simo,
which Version are you referring to ? The english version 2.2 a (23.02.2003) states under point 9.12: "The performance should be done with the entire body submerged."
I also remember that there have been penalties given for getting some part of the fin(s) stick out of the water at turns.

Veronika

Yep the new rules allow for fins et al (except airway) to come out of the water at turns. This means that you could potentially do a flip turn (a sumersault like in swim races) at the end of the pool now...

Thanks all!

Version 5.3a, section 6.2.6 says that the entire body must be submerged for the duration of the circuit and that the freediver must come into contact with the wall of the pool at each turn...

I'm still wondering what kind of push-off you can use when you start. Without fins, I've been more or less crouching against the wall for a strong push off the wall. Is this allowed? Or do you have to essentially lay almost fully extended against the wall? I'm 5'11'' so to have my airways at least 1.5 m from the wall that would be what I would have to do right?

Thanks again for your help.

Jeee...! Well, seems linke mine are out-dated :rcard. Unfortunately I can't do a download from the AIDA Int'l homepage, tried it with several computers and both Mozilla / Firefox and IE now :duh. Can anybody of you do me a favor and send it to me via e-mail (blubb @ gmx.at) ?
Thanks,

Veronika

Thanks for your input guys. I was looking at the record rules (ver 5.3a) which, as Tahoe Diver has correctly says in 6.2.6 that the entire body must be submerged for the duration of the circuit.

The competition rules (ver 3.1) say (as Simo has quoted) that any part of the body except for the respiratory tract can emerge in the last 5 metres before and after a turn.

I'm lead to believe that even though new rules have been thought up and are in the pipeline, the current and correct rules for competition and for record attempts are whatever is on the AIDA website at the time of the event.

Cheers,
Ben

Panos Lianos said:
Also, pay attention to the fact that at the end of your performance, your airways must surface BEFORE you grab the side of the pool (or the lane), otherwise you will get a penalty. This is something that very few athletes (and judges) pay attention to.
When I finish a dynamic, my hands always break the surface first. I didn't know that this would be a problem in competition - is the rule always enforced?

Lucia

Naiad:

You can break the surface with you hands first but you must have your airways out off the surface before you grab the side or the lane

Lambis

Thanks Lambis,

Unfortunately I meant that I grab the side before my airways are out of the water. I'll keep on doing this for now, as it is the only way I feel secure.

Lucia

There is a 10 point penalty for doing that :)

It's really easy to grab the wall right after your airways exit the water. Just try it in training. Equally safe and no risk of penalty.

Unless you are not planning to compete. In that case who cares? You can do whatever you want.

Hi Panos,
do you know if grabbing the wall explicitely has to be after the airways exit the water or if its sufficient if taking the first breath and grabbing the wall are conducted at the same time ?
Veronika

Hello Veronika,

Section 9.16 (Dynamic apnea)
... This means that the freediver had to exit his respiratory tracts before he grab the pooledge or the line/rope in the pool.

Section 12.1.4 (penalties)
If the athlete pulls or propels himself on a support point (wall/line) before the exit of his respiratory tracts in dynamic apnea: 10 POINTS

So according to section 9.16: first exit, then grab. Explicitely.

It's not that hard to do it. Just practice it and it will become easy. Hope this helps.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT