• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

AIDA World Ranking Lists

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
9'14'' on the first attempt !! You are truly insane man ...
Please give us some proof you are human and do not have some fish like skills of filtering oxygen out of the water.
I would realy like to see you BPM and O2 saturation curve if you have a option to hook yourselve up to such a device.
I admit i have read some amazing stuff on this board , but this beats all of them together.
The world record should be peanuts to you now or at least very soon.
Keep us posted.....

9'14" !!! Insane!!!

Tom, perhaps you could let us know the progression of your personal bests. For example, what was your personal best in static in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003,....

I'm curious if you made a 'breakthrough' or if your progress was gradual....? Have you had sambas or blackouts in static? How do you manage 5'14" of contractions.... are you resisting the contractions.... does it take great motivation/effort/concentration to continue to that point?

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Tom,

Will you be coming to Vancouver this summer?
Hope so. :D

Pete Scott
Vancouver, BC

hi

This is crazy in the last few months I thought it was pretty insane that Stephane smashed Martins wr, but 9:14 is just off the charts. I think the 10min mark will be beaten a lot sooner than most of us think :cool:

cheers

Wow! :cool:
What else can I say?

Let us know of anything interesting, and keep up the good work!

Lucia

Hi again,

I'm deeply impressed by all the positive replies I haven't expected this.

I hope I answered all of your questions:

I haven't tried the pulse oximeter during a maximum attempt. I tried it in the car doing an empty lung static just for fun and it went down to 30%. I haven't checked the hematocryt levels. But when I know about it I'll let you know.
The contractions are like small diaphramic ones and the frequency changes through the dive. It's approx. like this: First one around 4' second 4'20'' then 4'30'', 4'40'' ... and then from 5' on every 5-10s. This is just estimated I don't look on my watch the whole time :). My lungs vital capacity is 7litres without packing, I haven't tried it with packing... actually I tried it once in the bathroom but I had a serious blackout afterwards :duh....
And to your question how it feels: A long static feels pretty good.. for the first 4minutes.

I hate pulse devices, they make me nervous. Usually my pulse rate is around 45-50 but when I look at it it's around 60.

My progression was kind of gradually but last year I made a big step (estimated: 2001: 5'40'' 2002: 6'30'' 2003: 8'06''). It depends always a bit on training intensity. I have had a lot of slight sambas in static but no BO's. It's getting less...
To the motivation/effort/concentration: Yes, it takes a lot of it. There are only a few dives where I feel comfortable all the way...

I will certainly come to Vancouver. It will be a great comp!

Thanks again for your nice replies. Hope to see some of you in Nice or Vancouver.

Tom Sietas

Tom,
Thanks for sharing what you've been able to accomplish! We're all rooting for you when you do make a WR attempt, be it in a comp or otherwise.

Now I've got even more reason to try to make it to Vancouver for the Worlds!!!

All the best,
Aaron

Being in Vancouver myself, and hoping that as many people/countries come as possible, all we need to do is announce:

"IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT: Tom SIETAS, the ONE AND ONLY 9-MINUTE man, will be attending the 2004 Freediving World Championship in Vancouver, in August 2004. There is still time to register for those interested."

I bet this will bring in another 15 countries!

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

@eric
what about your 12min announcement?
I really hope you will confirm your "yogi claims with an impressive performance!

...eleven minutes would be also impressive - at least for me ;)

good luck with your preparations!

http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?threadid=39295
If our discovery works out, we'll try to do a 12-minute static at the 2004 worlds here in Vancouver. Unless we were actually successful, we would not claim to have found any secrets.... The technique we are working on requires concentration beyond what I had ever imagined.

Tom, thank you for answering our questions.

Looking at my pulse (or even a clock) messes with my pulse as well. Getting one of those pulse oxymeters that just records it and checking it post-apnea should do the job.

Regarding vital capacity, that's 7liters with residual volume not included, right?

Vancouver is going to be exciting....
Any chance there'll be some webcams broadcasting for all those who couldn't come? :)

hi

This is unreal tom you have a 7L lung volume yet you can do over 9min statics, I was expecting you to have lungs bigger than hubert maier :D That must mean you have the most air efficient lungs out of anyone in a static ???

Tom would you be able ot tell of your height and weight please

cheers

Actually the first measurement of the capacity of my lungs was 6,8 litres and the second only 6,6 litres.... but this is from two years ago.

To your question:
193cm and 80kg.
Actually the first measurement of the capacity of my lungs was 6,8 litres and the second only 6,6 litres.... but this is from two years ago.

To your question:
193cm and 80kg.

Later, Tom Actually the first measurement of the capacity of my lungs was 6,8 litres and the second only 6,6 litres.... but this is from two years ago.

To your question:
193cm and 80kg.

Later, Tom Actually the first measurement of the capacity of my lungs was 6,8 litres and the second only 6,6 litres.... but this is from two years ago.

To your question:
193cm and 80kg.

Later, Tom
Later, Tom:D

For a second there I was affraid it might've been a side effect of doing a 9 minute static. :D

Congratulations Tom, you kick all ass, even my brother's one.
This is an incentive to train more.
What is prettty cool, is that your preparation is similar to him... no preparation.
An he does only max attempts.
Hope I can make it to Vancouver to know all the unhuman species

So fast the situation can turn! Not only that the responsible persons at short notice made it possible that the two most important competitions in Cyprus and Nice are valid again for the AIDA ranking. Additionally even a lot of new competitions were added for the ranking. Congratulation AIDA!
That gives not only additional possibilities to the athletes, but strengthens our confidence into our organization also. I am confident that in the future also many of the other problems can be solved in this way.

Sportive greetings from Wolle

http://www.aida-international.org/aida_calendar.htm

Tom -- This is truly inspirational!! Congratulations!

Being in Vancouver, I will see if I can nip out the day after my wedding to see you at the Worlds :) You might get me in a lot of trouble!!

Good luck!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT