• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Air flash

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Bloodpearl13

Sep 16, 2001
Hi all!

Is there any relation between getting unconscious caused by having an air flasch and a blackout during diving. There are some corelations between the conditions. And does anybody know the cause for the unconscious when having an air flash?

For explanation - How to get an air flash?
One easy way to get an air flash is:

1. knee down

2. hyperventilate 15 times

3. stand up quick and hold your breath

4.somone (someone you trust) has to put his arms arround you and press it very hard against your chest

5. After a few seconds you should loos consciousness

Reply reqeuested!!!

Last edited:
One of the guys in my freediving class talked about doing this in high school. It sounded like a similar effect.
I think that they did it because they couldn't find anyone to buy beer for them- Growing in Milwaukee we didn't have those problems.
Seems like a pretty extreme way to try and get your kicks.

Jon

Hi Jon!

I had a new unexpected expereance in getting dizzy, and loosing consciousness. I did some breathholding combined with stretching to increase my lungcapacity. So i packed as much air into my lungs as it was possibel and tried to stretch my chest by bending the upper part of my boddy backward. After 15 to 20 secounds I got dizzy, and after a few more secounds I had to stop exercising because I started loosing my counsciousness. The dizzyness kept on for 15 secounds or more. ( I cant remember exactly)

So what has happened? Usualy I can hold my breath for 170 secounds. Have I been lake of Oxygen, or have I pressed to much Oxygen in my lungs? Or was it caused by other reasons?

don't do that man

you lose consciouness when your brain don't get enough oxygen (or gets too much)and that is not the healthy as you can imagine... :confused:

Hi, what you call an air flash and what causes you the dizziness and eventual unconsciousness from packing are the same thing. It's called "hypocapnia", which means not enough CO2. Your brain needs CO2 as well, to regulate consciousness. As far as I remember.
To quote Bart Simpson, "Hey quit it.....quit it....quit it".
Cheers buddy,
Erik Y.

Careful!

If you pack to the max and stand up rapidly, you increase the pressure on your heart and slow the blood flow to your brain. This is especially bad if your blood pressure is already normal or low. I know people who have lost consciousness and fallen on hard objects. One guy had to take a week off from work because his back landed on the arm of a sofa. Ouch! He has trouble taking in a full breath, now.

Is this a new kind of game? Maybe we should add quaffing a Bud light into the equation :D

If you plan to continue, I recommend a padded room and a friend to catch you.

There are better ways to stretch your lungs.

Pete

I get this kind of symptoms sometimes also without packing. But those have allways been when doing dry exercises, not in water.

Is there any (even simple?) way to avoid this dizzyness or even lost of consciousness? Maybe different kind of breath-up?

Isn't "air flash" what photographer wannabees do instead of "air guitar"?

I think some of the precipitating actions described above might be causing venous pressure drop, that lightheadedness you feel when you stand up to fast. It can trigger fainting. Might tie in to some of these underwater consciousness loss things????

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT