• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Air Gun!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi All:

I'm a bit new at this, got a pneumatic"tecnisub" spear gun, 50 cm and it works great.
I'm think of buying a stronger gun since I've noticed the bigger fish keep at a distance thus need more power for the spear to travel.
Which would be better; a 90 pneumatic speargun or a 90 cm OMER rubber band speargun.

What's interesting is that a big compnay like OMER have 15 types of rubber band speargun but only one model for the pneumatic gun "Tempest".

Thanks for your help guys

Hiya

WELCOME to Deeperblue!! :D:D

Pneumatic guns have received a very bad reputation in the past as being noisy, unreliable and loses power at depth. How-ever, over the last year or two, things have improved dramatically. The mamba kit has revolutionised the airgun market.

The majority of spearo's use band guns. Easy to use, easy to maintain and very little to go wrong.

Have a look at this article: http://www.deeperblue.net/article.php/720/41

Bottom line is pretty simple: BOTH types of guns will work. Simply choose the one YOU'RE most comfortable with.

Regards
miles

Many Thanks, I get the general idea but still cannot make up my mind as to which gun to by, pneumatic or band.

If we are to compare those 2 types starting by length (length of barrel).
Assuming both have the same length; at 100 cm, which type will most probably give more power to the shaft thus a longer range....that's basically my point.

I hunt in shallow waters & coral riffes at the Red Sea, the water is very clear and the fish is medieum size. I don't dive just snorkelling.

Maybe that will help.

Thank in advance for your comments

Hiya

Very simple, go for a band gun.

The band guns offer a greater variety of gun, plus the huge variety of different spears.

Straight from the box, a pneumatic gun will have more power than a single banded gun. How-ever, the addition of a second band will make the guns on par. Alot is dependant on the fish that you shoot. If you're hunting large grouper type fish that live in caves, a short powerful pneumatic gun is ideal. For most other types, a band gun is ideal.

You will end up with quite a few guns as you progress. Switching between a pneumatic and band gun will affect your accuracy. So, stick to one type. The longer airguns are also more difficult to load, especially when pumped up!!

There are some very experienced spearo's who use airguns, quite effectively, but the majority of spearo's favour band guns.

Hope that helps!!

Regards
miles

Ihab,
I ahve been spearfishing since 1966, used all kinds of guns (band, hydro, spring, CO2, etc). I strongly beleive in pneumatic . The new models have substantialy improved the performance and for me they r much easier to load and shoot. Although at the end it is a personal preference, airguns are my preference
Cheers
Ez
;)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT