• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Alberta Canada

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Erik

Jan 21, 2001
Alberta, Canada is booming, with a prospected shortage of 100,000 workers in the next 10 years! There are literally jobs in every sector: the minimum wage is around 7$, but fast-food coffee shops and other minimum wage jobs are paying 10 to 17$/hr in some areas. There is Oil here and a shortage of skilled labour. Oil companies are importing/sponsoring workers due to shortages, as are many other businesses including restaurants.
Good place to live. Good luck,
Erik Y.

Erik,
You gotta be kidding! Alberta Canada! Advertising on a diving site to get people to go to Canada! You musta got bent! Ha Ha
keyone

I do more diving here than many that live at the ocean, and shoot lots of fish. In fact some of my favourite places to dive are in Alberta, and the best salt water diving on the planet is in BC (IMHO). And for some divers, making killer money means they can go and dive wherever they want. Skilled tradesmen make 80- 120,000$ year in Ft. McMurray. Even unskilled labourers can make 40,000$+.
Nice first post by the way. Welcome to DB.

Peace,
Erik Y.

Is there any automotive industry around there?
I could be interested I think.

Rémi said:
Is there any automotive industry around there?
I could be interested I think.

Mo manufacturing if that's what you mean. Certainly lots of work for mechanics.
Peace,
Erik Y.

Thanks Erik,

I remeber hearing about this same topic a while back when I was in school. Great to hear that theres good freediving / scuba diving and everything there.

I am considering going into the trades :). Its just a toss up between Plumber or Electrician. My home town is located right on Georgian Bay and offers some pretty good freediving / scuba but no spear fishing :(.

Plumbers make shit-loads of dough here! Especially gas/oilfield guys, but even resdential home-builders and service guys are raking it in.
Peace,
Erik Y.

Erik, ssshhh, don't tell people our secret of Alberta. One of the great places to live. Though, housing etc. is going up and up with all the flux of people here. The rocky mountains are unbelievable here too.

Damn, now I gotta plan another vacation rofl.

At least with this one I can drive to my destination :).

About the money they make I can understand that, especially since trades are going to be in high demand. I am already checking out schools and such for how this goes. I can't seem to understand if I goto school first then work or work then goto school.

But I am seriously considering it when I get back home :). I just hope to get a chance to sit down with an actual plumber and ask a few questions.

Reactions: Erik
Hi Canadians!!!

I'll be joining you either in 07 or 08!!! I'm coming over for two weeks first in July 07, then plan to live there shortly afterwards.

I see the spearfishing is alive and well!!!

Looking forward to catching up when I'm there, I'll let you know closer to the date in July so we can get a few dives in together...

Last edited:
Hi to everybody!
talking about Alberta - I'm director of recruiting agency in Ukraine and Russia, and I tell you - many people would love to go in such place to make money and enjoy the wilderness BUT - I'm personnally for myself was looking for 6 months any agency in canada who could help me - and couldn't find nobody. Everybody talking about shortage of skilled trade in Alberta, many people would die to come there - but...

so I want to ask anybody who knows CANADIAN agency dealing with foreigner employment - please share! Russians, Ukrainians, even people who came from GB -they ask for huge sums of money when asked to help.

I appreciate any help on this matter! Thanks,
Andrew (worklink@bk.ru, skype - andrey_worklink)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT