• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Alchemy Silicone weight belt better than others?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Kodama

Jun 20, 2016
I have worn out quite a few weight belts so far. Two years ago I decided to get two really decent ones hoping they would last a long time.

A weight belt needs to be stretchy for me since I don’t want to rely on these annoying strings running between my legs. Tried it, no thanks.

The ones I got didn’t work and are again in danger of breaking. Very frustrating.

4cb81569cacca6a3d4c18536ebe19e3c.jpg

Meandros rubber belt only two years of use. They warned me for the rubber one not being so durable. Got it anyway since I wanted the stretch. My fault I guess...
Nonetheless I ordered the other one they recommended as well. Albeit not being so stretchy it should last many years they said.
ea7b687d5312904ed9162c115f45f6f1.jpg

The holes are ripping!

Got another one from Tarpon. This one is showing signs of degradation as well.

5f01c25e7de021b8aa4412daf38a5ef0.jpg

It will probably last another season at least but not much longer I am afraid.

Now I am looking at something new. The Alchemy silicone 5mm weight belt.
It seems like it wouldn’t degrade and looking at the specs it seems super strong. Anyone any experience with this weight belt and it’s stretchiness or quality?

3f360b28c65d0884859eb591e524f58b.jpg

It’s expensive at €45 but if it lasts longer than the others it may prove to be the cheapest one in the end.

I must add that so far from all the weight belts I have used the Tarpon was the best and most performant. It is 4mm thick and seems to have the perfect amount of stretch for me.

I use a Rob Allen Marseille-style stretchy belt. After more than a decade, it is still like new. However, I look after my stuff, rinse it in fresh water after each use and, where practical, I let it air-dry in the shade. I cinch it fairly tight but not super- tight; if you are worried about moving up you body consider fitting a crouch strap - RA make one but you could easily make your own.

I usually carry about 24lb of lead but in recent years I have started carrying some of that in a weight vest.

Some of the Guerns make their own dive belts out of old conveyor belt material; I expect they last quite well.

I would think silicone might tear easily, certainly two of my watch straps did, which I think we're silicone but I could be wrong.

Good look with your search for a decent weight belt ;)

For many years I used the Rob Allen black rubber belts and they lasted a long time. However I did find that if I punched new holes for a perfect fit they might split at those holes. Then about three years ago Rob Allen switched to a new green polyurethane material and I think it might last forever. And just recently I punched a few new holes in it and so far they don't seem to be splitting. If you like a lot of stretch then the RA might not be for you, but it has the stretch that I like.

Attachments

• IMG_1260.jpg
    IMG_1260.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 416
It sounds like all the other Rob Allen stuff, simple and bombproof.

How thick are those belts?

According to my cheap calipers it's about 3.73 mm. Here's another photo showing no cracking where it goes around the buckle. I think I've had it for about three years. If it does wear out, some dive shops sell the strap so that you don't have to pay for a new buckle.

Attachments

• IMG_1262.jpg
    IMG_1262.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 406
Reactions: Mr. X
I just measured mine, just over 4mm, after more than 19 years of use.

Omersub offer Marseille belts too. With the option of plastic or stainless steel buckle. I generally like Omer gear but their belts struck me as overpriced and lower spec..

According to my cheap calipers it's about 3.73 mm. Here's another photo showing no cracking where it goes around the buckle. I think I've had it for about three years. If it does wear out, some dive shops sell the strap so that you don't have to pay for a new buckle.

I got plenty of buckles so if I can find just the straps that would be perfect.

Reactions: Mr. X
Too bad they are not making them in white. It really helps your buddy spotting you on those deep dives.

I never thought about that but it would be nice in clear water. In Southern California it would be rare that you could see your buddy on a deep dive. And most of the back of my belt is covered with junk anyway.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT