• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Alcohol and deep diving: The Big Blue movie

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Longfins

Oct 28, 2001
Hello,

I would like to post this question here and perhaps someone with a technical or commercial diving background can help answer:

In the movie "The Big Blue", there's a scene where the main characters take a commercial diving job going down in a diving bell to 800'+. Each took a few drops of alcohol, were warned by a fellow diver/worker not to as it was dangerous, and were drunk (?), singing and dancing at depth by the end of the scene.

My question is: What's the physiological effect of alcohol intake at high pressure / depth when divers are breathing something other than air? I don't know if the situation was trimix or heliox or some other gases used in commercial diving. If there was nitrogen in the mix they were breathing, does the alcohol amplify N2 narcosis? Does alcohol metabolism gets affected somehow by depth? Some kind of gas toxicity effect (high PPO2 + alcohol = superdrunk)? I just got the impression that this kind of stunt would be highly dangerous in real life.

Any answers gratefully received,

Peter S.

Last edited:
This is what I know:

- A high nitrogen level acts as an NMDA antagonist (N-Methyl-D-Aspartate receptor site)
- Alcohol is also an NMDA antagonist

Anything which is an NMDA antagonist gives a feeling of being drunk and interrupts the storage of memories.

Combining alcohol and high nitrogen, would, in theory, then just result in an additive effect, of being superdrunk.

Perhaps there are other effects as well?

By the way, NMDA receptors are in the brain, and they control GABA activity indirectly. High GABA levels are associated with sleepiness, meditation, etc...

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT