• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Alcohol and freediving?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

kingohyes

Aug 17, 2003
Hi, does anyone know the effect alcohol has on freediving. On last friday I consumed pretty much alcohol (not that much) and my performance went right down. I cant seem to hold out contractions anymore, my static went down with 1 minute.. Im realy loosing motivation, and im wondering if it is necessary to take some days without static training, I just hope its possible to get up on the level I used to be on and improve.
:waterwork Has anyone had experience with this?

Yes, I've had experience with this. And not very nice experience.

Stay away from alcohol and hang-overs if you want to dive deep.

kingohyes said:
and im wondering if it is necessary to take some days without static training,

¡LOL! I think it is necesary to take some days without alcohol dude, rofl rofl rofl

Similar experiences here, expect you need more like a week, not a couple days to get back to your level if you're training hard at the moment.

Thanks for the inputs guys. I was worried it was only my body that reacted this extreme..Lol, its a pity I must stay away from alcohol in my best party age :) But I am a serious freediver and know what has to be done..period

Now that I think about it, I haven't been drinking very much at all since I started "serious" freediving. And you know what? I don't really miss it all that much.

Good, are you using the no-breatheup no-warmup method?

Last edited:
I use it as a training tool, but I've been sloppy lately as I'm getting ready for a competition (today). In a competition, I still do both (warmup and breathup). Maybe after today I'll give it another go...

my experience with alcohol and static was the opposite!

no sleep and quite a large quantity of alcohol, came up 10sec short of my pb!!! then the next day broke my pb by over a minute.

also heard that Lee donally (sorry for spelling), had a similar experience in hawaii, where he broke the uk static record!

ok my buddy feel asleep during his warm-ups so it's not for everyone.

personally it's not the way to go, but for me it shows that stress is a huge factor in freediving.

give yourself some rest to detox (naturally, no scary procedures) and think back to what you were like when you first started! your performances will get back to where they were and will progress as it did before.

and remember:
"all work and no play make jack a dull boy!"

My experience with that was not good at all, i was on the water with a hangover, feeling not that bad, but with every minute on the water the feeling of sickness was fading pretty fast. I began to do several dives, not pb or anything, but something happened on the way up, and on the surface I had my first and only blackout, it was hell. From my experience..... Stay away from the water when u got a hangover!!!!!! I hope that my advice can be usefull for u. After that.... I know that u got to learn things the hard way. But when it comes to freediving... U better not!

so is this no alcohol thing more similar to the relationship of smoking and athletics where if you do it at all it will mess up performance? or is it more like general drinking with relation to athletics where as long as you have had some time to get rid of it (few days, week) then it wont really hold you back?

i'd say the latter, because:

As before:

"all work and no play makes jack a dull boy"

so if you do want to drink, then give yourself plenty of time before you do any form of depth diving. Static you can probably give it a go sooner, but with reduced result.

this is because it is easier and a lot safer to pull out of a static halfway of your pb than halfway into a dive and thing bugger it!!!

don't think that you have to be a t-totaller to be any good, i heard that tom Sietas like a few beers and the odd smoke!!!

Last edited:
perfect my dreams have come true...

plus feel very safe with such a professional doctor endorsing them :friday

hmm. i have´nt partied in a few months now. Actually. After that i stopped drinking ,i started train a bit more seriously. After just a month my personal static on land rised from 2.10 to 3.34 minutes and the next time i drink i will take notes on my changes in performance

well obviously I don't drink and dive , but I've noticed that after a few beers at the pub I can hold my breath better than normal, maybe 30 seconds extra or more. I guess I'm more relaxed and also kind of 'tune out' so that my brain isn't working much either x_x ! lol

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT