• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Alexander Handle

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

strangelove

Mar 13, 2005
I have a couple of Yokooji guns both with Alexander handles, it is quite annoying how slippery they get when handling with leather palm gloves. Any one has any creative solutions for that.

Tape ? What brand and where to get it ?

Spray some plasti-dip spray on it, you can tape off what you don't want coated.

When I got my first couple of Wong guns, he was using Alexander parts including the handle. When I got my last three guns, he had started using the Aimrite handles made by his partner Rick Bettua.

I liked the feel of the Aimrite handles so much better that I gladly traded the
Alexander handles for Aimrite handles that some of my friends got with their guns.

Obviously, its a matter of tastes. Those guys wanted the Alexander handle for some reason, while I liked the Aimrite much better.

That's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

Also obviously, while I was able to trade handles, you would probably have to buy one. That may not be a viable option for you, but I just wanted to mention it in case other choices didn't work out.

Last edited:
Re: Slippery Grip

You could wrap it with grey duct tape and leave it in the sun for a few hours.

When you peel it off, the sticky goo stays on the handle.

Just a thought :duh

J

Scott Merlo uses a rubber sleeve around his (yeah yeah) maybe something like that but out of something thin like a bicycle inner tube? Or maybe file some grooves into the Aluminium like Aimrites?

Used to spray Tred x, a spray used for slippery side walks,before I started casting them with a texture.

stoneshot said:
Used to spray Tred x, a spray used for slippery side walks,before I started casting them with a texture.
Can you elaborate on that whole statement :) Im totally interested :) You cast your own handles? Tell me more :D

Yes,

I build custom guns and started casting some of my own components rather than buying them from other builders.

I will have some in around two weeks, for the public. They are based on the award winning Wather p99 handgun. They have a removable weight magazine that you can customize for your gun.

Alison

I have tried the rubber sleeve/bicecle tube, the tube grip well to my glove but slip on the top of the handle. I am not sure how easy would be to make groves on the top of that handle.

Bill I've never held an aimrite handle, from the pictures it kind looks like the riffe handle that I don't like. But without holding one it is difficult to evaluate. The are inject platic correct ? Not Aluminum ?

Stoneshot I will check home-depot for the spray, also do you have a web page for your guns ?

Strangelove,

Home depot should have that Tread-x, If not you can get a can of the aerosol plastidip, tape off what you don't want coated, spray a light coat of the plastidip, then sprinkle some texture paint additive(comes in a small bag), wait for around an 2 hours, then lightly brush off any loose texture, then spray with two/three more coats of the plastidip, waiting an hour in between. Hint when you pull off any tape lightly score aournd the tape with an x-acto some that the tape doesn't lift the rubber.
I am working w/ someone one the website now, should be up in a few weeks.
Here is a picture of the prototype grip that I will have available in couple of weeks. I think that I am also going to do an overmolded grip.

Any questions are welcome, and good luck with the grip.

Attachments

• Grip.JPG
    Grip.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 204
strangelove said:
Alison

Bill I've never held an aimrite handle, from the pictures it kind looks like the riffe handle that I don't like. But without holding one it is difficult to evaluate. The are inject platic correct ? Not Aluminum ?

Here is a photo of a couple of them. They are some sort of very strong plastic, and are a copy of a military 45 cal pistol handle.

Attachments

• two55s.JPG
    two55s.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 216
Bill,

I believe Daryl & Rick"s grips are made of Polycarbonate very impact resistant.

Bill,

Which setup do you like better horizontal reel or vertical? I always wondered that seeing your pics?

What brand/model reel do you prefer too?

strangelove said:

I've never held an aimrite handle, from the pictures it kind looks like the riffe handle that I don't like. But without holding one it is difficult to evaluate. The are inject platic correct ? Not Aluminum ?

?

the feel is pleasant and you will get a positive grip all the time, regardless of gloves,( even if you dip the gloves in sunscreen) cause the pattern of the chekered side of the handle. Another reason to get an aimrite handle is the gun will looks so cool with the red, black or blue handle matching blue, red, green, amber or black bands. Besides all the hawaiian charm, that you will get matching two superb hawaiian pieces of art ...

P.S. all the aimrite products come with a full lifetime warranty, but i guess you will never get to that, because the quality of the products ...

Last edited:
seaman said:
P.S. all the aimrite products come with a full lifetime warranty, but i guess you will never get to that, because the quality of the products ...

A guy diving on my boat actually managed to break an Aimrite handle, but a replacement was in the mail the next day, no questions asked. Since then I think they have changed to an even tougher material.

Those who have read this before, please forgive the repetition, but I really put the Wong/Aimrite warranty to the test one time. I hang lines over the side of the boat with clips on the end, and clip the guns, fish, etc. to them when I get back to the boat so I don't have to wrestle with them coming over the swimstep. One time a few years ago I forgot to pull the guns in before getting underway and pulling the anchor, and my Wong gun and a friend's Riffe went into the props. The bands wrapped up and stalled the engine, and the shaft was ripped out of the gun, destroying the trigger mechanism. I called Daryl to order a new mechanism, fully expecting to pay for it, and he told me the mechanism was warranted, period, and sent me a new one free of charge. He only asked that I send him the old one so he could see how it failed. It appears that the warranty even covers senior moments.

I'm afraid the damage to my friend's Riffe was not covered.

Reactions: seaman
I just listed two Aimrite handles for sale on another board as I thought it would have more appeal there. link- [ame="http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=22469"]Spearboard Spearfishing Community[/ame]

Bill McIntyre said:
I called Daryl to order a new mechanism, fully expecting to pay for it, and he told me the mechanism was warranted, period, and sent me a new one free of charge. He only asked that I send him the old one so he could see how it failed. It appears that the warranty even covers senior moments.

Wow, Bill, i enjoy that kind of stories so much. It is so great to know there are such cool guys around as Daryl Wong. What I like the most of aimrite products is the lifetime friendship you get along with the warranty :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT