• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Alternative Tying Materials for Canadians

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Paraaronoid

Jul 6, 2007
Thought I'd ask if anyone has ever tried using alternative materials for band tying due to lack of availability in Canada. For a chorded wishbone, any 'Red Green' type solutions for dyneema? Thin shoelace? :)

Wonder if you could get away with using 400 lb black mono shooting line as a wishbone?

For tying off the wishbone (using the constrictor knot), I have found that contractor's grade string line works really well (the bright orange/red/yellow stuff at Home Depot). Tie the constrictor knot, leave loose, then spray with silicone spray, then tighten. Works awesome. Braided ice-fishing line doesn't work well, I can tell you that...

Reactions: Mr. X
My guns up until now all had steel wishbones, but now I've got one with the dyneema, which I prefer... feels safer. Almost cut a finger off once on a steel wishbone :(
I'll probably just order the "right stuff". I remember trying to substitute the mono spear line and losing a shaft lol.

Yeah, those steel wishbones are hell to say the least. My brother recently cut his finger on my old Biller just last time we were out, and I've done the same a couple of times as well in the past. At least mine aren't the articulated metal wishbones. Those flatter things look like they were meant for lopping off fingers :)

Hi Paraanoid, I can highly recommend:

Spearitco.com, The worlds largest selection of Speargun Bands and Do-It-Yourself Spearfishing Supplies in the USA.

We have the same sort of availablity issues in England. I just received an order (which I placed via eBay, which was a little more expensive). It took less than a week (despite low cost shipping) and the rubber is very fresh (they emailed me recently via eBay to say they had fresh rubber just come in). Their Dyneema is what I was after though. 1.9mm for SA/RA/Picasso-style grooved spears and 3mm for sharks tooth spear notches. I also bought some of their Kevlar contrictor cord but I agree cheaper cords work fine - I use whipping twine - but soft braids are less likely to cut into the rubber & it was fairly cheap.

The Dyneema cord is much cheaper through their own website than from then via eBay (although they offer the best deal I could find on eBay too) - very reasonably priced. I also got some of the nickel/brass beads - although plan to use Rob Allen nylon toggles that I have first as they are lighter.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT