• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Amberjack taking over the world!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

rigdvr

Not Available in Stores
May 28, 2002
Well I went on a "play trip" for a change last week. On monday we had a half day charter so when we got back we decided to go offshore. By the time we had everyone rounded up and the boat reloaded it was 4:00 in the afternoon.

The grill was on the boat so we said what the hell....we have no trip tommorrow, lets go stay the night at the island and go offshore in the morning. When we made it to Horn Island it was unusually calm so we vetoed the barbeque and continued south. Shortly after dark we came to a jack-up rig known as the Mr. Gus. Our destination was a rig to the east of here but we could not see it(turns out it was not light up for some reason???) But we made our way to another rig to the south.

Time to fish! Well this particular rig was swarming with sharks on this night. We caught silky's, sand sharks, bulls, and something about 7+ ft that broke a rod. Enough for the night. Good thing we brought the filet mignon!:cool:

At daybreak we started scanning the horizon for our initial target and low and behold, there it was. The 175-A. We were tied up by 6:45 and had our first AJ on the hook by 6:50. I handled the gaffing duties as I was planning. You see, I had brought my freedive gear...;)

After everyone caught their fish and released another, I got the tools together. No wetsuit today boys, the water was a balmy 82. I decided to use a single float/breakaway setup and hopped in. Everyone had asked me a million questions about freedive spearing the day before and I think they were more excited than I was. The women on board were sure some unseen monster was gong to eat me while I floated around in the chum slick. The men could not fathom getting in the water with no tanks.

Breathing up in the chumslick the water was a dirty green...about 10ft of vis. I made my first dive and found a reverse thermocline at 30ft where the warm water opened up to about 25 ft of vis. Oh yeah I almost forgot...as soon as I got in the "cleaner" water I saw amberjack's...hundreds of them. They all looked about the same so I picked what I thought was the biggest and let him have it...a perfect kill shot right through the spine. Not a quiver or shake. I hit the surface and everyone looked concerned..."Whats wrong Mike?" apparently they were timing me and I had been down a whopping 18 sec! "Well pull this fish into the boat and I will tell you the story" :cool:

Shortly thereafter the winds picked up and the one foot seas went to a steady 4-6 with an occassional 8 thrown in for good measure and we wisely decided to made the long 60 mi treck home....

Last edited:
Reactions: loopy and Dogmatrix
"The women on board were sure some unseen monster was gong to eat me while I floated around in the chum slick. The men could not fathom getting in the water with no tanks."
rofl

---I love this story! Didn't do anything even close this weekend, except an in-the-water 'tour' of some dive spots around La Jolla: same reaction from about 25-30 people, "What?....No tanks?....No wetsuit?....no snorkle?....." The water was a refreshing 64F...I had a blast! Viz was poor, but what the heck, it's all good once in the water.....aka......'in church' :eek:

Thanks, rigdvr, great story!

Great story rig!!!

30 ft?
18 second breathhold?
See Iya, you don't need tanks afterall :D. I know you can swing these numbers :eek:.

Ted

Great Story! wish I was there! had to get my fix with hipwaders and a 7wt this weekend.....

Bon Chance!

That I can do Uni, 30 ft & 18 seconds but that means I have to migrate to Rigs neighbourhood....:D

I will then stay at 15 feet and still can get fishes at 35, my gun can do 23 feet remember...wha ha ha ha....what a heavenly place.:eek:

smooth!

Thats the way to do it Mike!! Impale 'em w/o a shake or a shudder.

A good goal to perform on the fish too. :p

sven

smooth!

Originally posted by icarus pacific

sven

:cool:
...saw that one coming all the way from here!
:t

Sven!!!

You are getting predictable in your middle _______[fill in the blank] zzz

by the way...anything for the June contest yet?

Adrian

Re: smooth!

sven

That's odd Sven... I kinda like it when they shake & shudder :hmm

yeah, well when they shake after you grab their "gills" :hmm , then you're off and runnin'. :cool:

Have you been getting my mails, OS?
...and the Contest will return to it's raging, turgid, shimmying and shuddering position on Friday.

sven

yeah, well when they shake after you grab their "gills" :hmm , then you're off and runnin'. :cool:

Have you been getting my mails, OS?
...and the Contest will return to it's raging, turgid, shimmying and shuddering position on Friday.

sven

sven, not a whisper since...um...awhile....
BTW...............where are my 'gills' located? :t

Last edited:
It's one of those secrets

Originally posted by OceanSwimmer
where are my 'gills' located? :t

I knew it would come back around... as with BatRay, that's another one of those female-type secrets that I had to do much stealthy study to discover.

North of the caudal and pectoral fins. :eek:

sven

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT