• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

American Shoal Lighthouse, Cudjoe Key. Please advise.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

rickey05

Atlantic Beach, FL
Mar 22, 2008
Hello all. I will be spearing out of Cudjoe Key next month and I am wondering if anyone has ever speared here or had any luck etc.
I will be there for a week lobstering & spearing. I plan on taking a couple of trips out to the reefline and the American Shoal Lighthouse. Anyone speared this before? Any luck?

Any help is appreciated. Thanx.

get a chart of the area. go to washerwoman humps. there are three of them. all are marked by marker poles. they are in between the reef,(lighthouse) and land. about 5 miles from cudjoe inlet. they are nice spots. they are about a mile from each other. the two to the east are the best.they are really not that big. about 500 ft around, shaped like a big mushroom with ledges all around. about 20 ft to the top, about 30 to the sand. work the south side ledges, and swim out off the hump to the south and you will find some more rocks and coral heads. another spot to check is pelican shoal ,(about 3.5 miles west of american shoal) i have got some shallow spots marked in about 15 ft of water. just off sugarloaf and bay point, if you got a gps let me know, i will give you some numbers. i really dont have too many for middle keys, i got shit loads of numbers down by me and beyond. if you want some let me know. also, american shoal is OK but to be honest it is really fished out in that whole area. most of the good reef spots are sanctuaries in the keys. the few that arent get hit by EVERYONE and their uncle who has a gun. especially the easy to find ones on the charts. realistically, i dont spend much time ,(if any) going to the reef anywhere near land anymore. i like the reef in front of the marquesas and beyond the best. especially tail end. and new ground reef, north of marquesas. those are the areas that still hold fish. but i am kinda spoiled, you may love it there and may get lucky too. if you search the florida section of DB you will see a huge mutton i shot just south of american shoal. it is actually listed in the thread as "nice mutton"

Last edited:
very nice jtkwest. thank you for your help. I did see your mutton and that was quite the kill! i will definitely be free diving so any numbers you have in 30 feet or less would be appreciated. I do have GPS. Thanks for lookin out brother. if you dont wanna spray them all around my email is allenrickey@hotmail.com. Thanks again. I cant wait to come check out your spots.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT