• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Anaerobic to apnea phase transition

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

xristos

Sep 5, 2013
There comes a moment in a freedivers schedule where they transition from doing anaerobic work to breathholding. When we get into breathholds, diving and dynamics we change. It feels like we switch to oxygen efficiency mode, some call it "freediving mode".

In sport it's known that anaerobic/sprint adaptations are fast to fade off and detrain. Speed and anaerobic endurance will start fading from first 15 days from when we stopped training them.

How do you manage this problem? Are you using some maintenance regime? If so what is it like? If not what is the point in the anaerobic training you did?

Yes, all fitness performance will fade away without some sort of maintenance. I do firmly believe that the physique is lost at a much slower rate when someone has been maintaining it for many years. The nice part about high intensity workouts is that it takes a very small amount of time in maintaining aerobic and anaerobic performance to a good level even after dedicated training has been sidelined. Hopefully this article can be helpful it determining how much time and types of exercise to commit to for maintaining performance and vascular development. Effects of Physical Activity and Inactivity on Muscle Fatigue https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3355468/

There comes a moment in a freedivers schedule where they transition from doing anaerobic work to breathholding. When we get into breathholds, diving and dynamics we change. It feels like we switch to oxygen efficiency mode, some call it "freediving mode".

In sport it's known that anaerobic/sprint adaptations are fast to fade off and detrain. Speed and anaerobic endurance will start fading from first 15 days from when we stopped training them.

How do you manage this problem? Are you using some maintenance regime? If so what is it like? If not what is the point in the anaerobic training you did?
It's supposed to detrain and fade away, especially as you approach peaking.

Every type of fitness takes up space in our total adaptive capacity. If you want to be maximally fit for freediving, you need to let go of other types of fitness that you may be holding on to (like weight training fitness, or rock climbing fitness, etc).

Personally if I'm training freediving for a long time (+3month) I'll also do some cross training to maintain these other types of fitness. However, during the final 2-3 months of apnea.. I now pretty much stop everything, limiting any counter-stimulus and allowing my mind/body to take full advantage of my total adaptive capacity to generate as much freedive fitness as possible.

Reactions: otrebor and xristos
I favour best getting on the road bike.I run up and down the vineyards when time permits,.My apnea is so more better although ! mentally as well as phcically i dont over dress my self .I remain more in a relaxed apnea mode,Obviously i breath also time to time exhaling on big breath outs .,Im one of those who consume liquids,foods when in the sea ,the same when on land when trainning,.My worst apnea is when i dont get good sleep when small emergencys crop up

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT