• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Andaman Freediving Challenge 2010

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

loaquatic

May 4, 2007
We are happy to inform you that the AFC 2010 is confirmed for the 10th - 11th and 12th of February. We might add an extra day but will confirm very soon.

Our guest of honor will be Martin Stepanek.

10th of February: Registration, Pool training, Rules and safety, Seminar and
open ceremony.
11th of February: Open sea competition at Koh Haa (max.depth 55m)
12th of February: Pool competition & Closing ceremony, prizes, party

The disciplines will be: CWT, CNF, DYN, DNF, FIM, STA.

AIDA Judges: Patrick Bouillon and Richard Wonka

Confirmed by Bill Stromberg. Any athletes sign-up and pay membership to one of ther National AIDAs all over the world, only when they are members of and National AIDA, you will have valid results for the international ranking. You can sign up for that National AIDA we have behind this competition.

Prizes: 4 nights accomodation for 2 persons in Rawi Warin Resort (5 stars)
Black Nemo Mares computer
Freediving Fins
Freediving bags
Freediving trips (2 days)

Cost is: 4,500 baht per person
Include: AFC tee-shirt, Hotel transfer, Breakfast and Lunch + drinks on the
boat, Buffet party.

Extra: A video and photos of the competition will be available.

Sponsors: Mares, TAT, Rawi Warin resort & Spa

If you wish to participate, please contact blueplanetdivers@gmail.com

Last edited:
Is there a web page for this comp? If not now, by when?
It would be important to know a few things about logistics, such as how to get there, some recommended hotels (I am sure there are lots but it would be nice for the freedivers to be together in a few of them), etc. I'd like to come and I am trying to get a few other persons interested, but advance information is essential especially if people are coming from afar and would probably need to book flights well ahead and join this with a small vacation...
thanks!

Thanks for the blog.

Question: what should thai freedivers do re: AIDA membership, since I don't think there is an AIDA Thailand (yet)?

Last edited:
unfortunately,i think thai athletes who would like to set an official national record would have to create an aida national branch.
There are very few thai freedivers untill now .
(except the sea gypsies who are usually very good freedivers ,but do it only for spearfishing purpose.)
Lets hope that the publicity will attract more thai people to the sport (last year several thai tv chanels came to film the comp)

with a lot of marine life and water being never colder than 27 degrees ,this country has a great potential for the development of recreational freediving.

Last edited:
btw, i forgot to mentioned about the accommodation. You will find few names listed on the blog. See section accommodation on the menu.

Cheers

There's been talk of creating an AIDA Thailand, but given the global AIDA situation at this very moment, this might not be the best timing. And, as you say, there are not too many... although the numbers are increasing at least in BKK - yes let's hope this competition will be also good for thai freediving.

AIDA Japan... I am afraid it's more easily said than done... but ok we should look into that. Is there AIDA in SIN?

No, no AIDA in Singapore (assuming SIN stands for Singapore).

I didn't know we could register in the organisation of another country. Cool.

service with a smile Benny! i like, come and join AIDA australia, we are a pretty harmless bunch.... i cant speak for that Benny fella but the rest of us are fine ;)

comp sounds great!

Question to the organizers:

"Each athlete must have a medical certificate prior registration and hold a dive insurance up to 60 meters"

Can you please clarify about the insurance? It is not needed for other AIDA competitions. Also I am not sure who would offer such an insurance to freedivers.

About the medical certificate, any restrictions about language?

thanks.

Wow insurance for a comp. That could start an expensive trend, i would wonder who would insure a diver too.

DAN will insure you to 130m (?) from memory but i would wonder if the small print says you have to be qualified to that depth. There is no such qualification.

Scubies hold 'depth limits' on their qualifications.

Interesting. I've posted just to be nosey to see if anyone has solid insurance for a comp.

DAN will insure you to 130m (?) from memory but i would wonder if the small print says you have to be qualified to that depth. There is no such qualification.

There is no such thing as "qualification" for any depth.
There are only maximum depth allowed during the freediving courses.
but there are no standards for maximum depth after the course.
(it s often the same for scuba diving by the way ,unless there is state laws on the matter ,maximum depth are just recommendations,not "standards".)
In some countries like France ,Australia and many more it is a different story ,as scuba diving is regulated by the state (and not by the training agencies.)

Many insurance companies will fail to pay if the depth limits of qualification are exceeded and a claim is put in. Thats sounds as compulsory as it needs to be whether you are qualified or recommended to do a depth.

Who insures freedivers to 60 metres or any depth in a competition is what divers will need to know to compete.

My insurance is Aqua-Med and upon request they did not have any limits whatsoever. You dive (with or without scuba), then You are insured against diving accidents. I'm happy with them, as they also offer a very good travel insurance as part of the deal.

I looked up aqua-med, and yes it will insure divers (not specified if there is a depth limit). I wonder however if it really covers athletes in a competition.

Some issues:
a) the basic card is 45Eur/year, which is not a negligible amount to be added to the competition fee.
b) it is oriented to germans, in particular the policy is in german and it is limited to costs of treatment after a diving accident in Germany (I think this should be a concern also for you since you are now based in Thailand).

Maybe other insurers exist, but considering that you organize it in Thailand and you expect (I assume) some locals to participate, I wonder if any Thai/SE Asian insurer would be up to this.

In short, would it not be more efficient to arrange it on your side for all competitors, and perhaps add a little extra cost to the fee?

Wow insurance for a comp. That could start an expensive trend, i would wonder who would insure a diver too.

Scubies hold 'depth limits' on their qualifications.

Interesting. I've posted just to be nosey to see if anyone has solid insurance for a comp.

mandatory insurance is pretty much standard in europe for many years , in many countries you cannot dive without insurance.

In most countries of the third world (like thailand) ,the state doesn't care if you are insured or not, but the bad side of it is that the hospital or recompression chamber will let you die outside unless you show them your credit card...and that is gonna cost much more than a DAN insurance.

DAN is a non-profit organisation , they have a solid reputation ,and i ve never heard that they try to find "flaws" in diving standards or recommendations or in your contract to avoid paying if someone has an accident. (unlike some more "commercial" insurance policies)

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT