• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Another Newbie from Wales

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

NNW64

May 3, 2016
Hi All, just signing in for the first time from sunny Porthcawl.
I'm new to the forum and wanted to say hi!
Starting to get more involved with Spearfishing in the South and West Wales area's.
All the best!
Nick :)

Hi Nick,
Nice to see someone else from the South Wales area on here! Have you done much spearfishing around here?
Also check out another thread.. https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/south-west-wales.102695/
if that link works that's the most up to date thread, unfortunately there's only a few of us on here from around south wales!
If you've got any questions drop me a mail!
Cheers Ash

Hi Nick,
Nice to see someone else from the South Wales area on here! Have you done much spearfishing around here?
Also check out another thread.. https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/south-west-wales.102695/
if that link works that's the most up to date thread, unfortunately there's only a few of us on here from around south wales!
If you've got any questions drop me a mail!
Cheers Ash
Hi Ash
I'm a newbie right now just starting off.
40 years surfing and padding so I thought I would take the opportunity to start this as I've always wanted to.
Hoping to get really started properly this summer, got a week holiday booked in Aberdyfi in August but I will be starting off here hopefully next few weeks off Sker Point and Newton when the surf drops an the water drops out.
I will keep in touch mate!
Nick.

Hi Nick,
Yeah it's great when you actually get the hang of it, I didn't catch anything the first year I started but last year I had a lot more joy! Not sure how you'll find porthcawl mind, Ive surfed there a fair bit and I've always struggled to see my feet!
The gower gets good from June through to August when the tides aren't massive and the swell stays down, but it's so frustrating when you think it's going to be good and then you can't see your hand in front of your face!
If you're planning on freediving have a google of Saltfree divers, they run courses in Chepstow and it's well worth it, makes you much more comfortable Spearfishing!

Reactions: NNW64
Hi Nick,
Yeah it's great when you actually get the hang of it, I didn't catch anything the first year I started but last year I had a lot more joy! Not sure how you'll find porthcawl mind, Ive surfed there a fair bit and I've always struggled to see my feet!
The gower gets good from June through to August when the tides aren't massive and the swell stays down, but it's so frustrating when you think it's going to be good and then you can't see your hand in front of your face!
If you're planning on freediving have a google of Saltfree divers, they run courses in Chepstow and it's well worth it, makes you much more comfortable Spearfishing!

Yes agreed it's really a big river down here strong currents on incoming and outgoing tides but slack water is fine and the silt is pretty bad but if you get a few days of no swell and no wind you might be surprised how clear it can get.
I spend a fair bit of time on my SUP when it's flat and I've seen s lot of fish around Sker and Ogmore Deeps. That's what made me start thinking about Spearfishing plus I've got a few mates on the South Coast and Devon who are really accomplished at it and travel a lot up to Scotland and the N. East Spearfishing.
It's always exciting starting a new thing and as I work in the surf industry I travel right accross the Welsh Coast down to Devon, Cornwall, Dorset and Sussex so I'm hoping to take advantage when there's no swell .

Reactions: ashbish
Let's all keep in touch and maybe catch up at some point in the Summer!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT