• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Another newbie

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

MKDVR

May 1, 2005
Hello all. I've been lurking here off and on for a couple of months. I'm an avid scuba diver but am becoming increasingly interested in freediving. So far I've learned that what I know about scuba physics/physiology has little bearing here. I've been using the search function often and have picked up a few tips here and there. Of course I have some questions. Eventually I'd like to get some formal training but will have to take it slow for now. First off I'm starting to look for the correct fins. Jetfins suck for swimming. I'll post that in the appropriate forum later. Later. :)

Ha ha ha ha. Jetfins.

Freediving's the way to go! Getcha some longfins. When you're not cruising at depth using little-to-no power, you can give your gams a workout at full power for good exercise. I was trying to get some calf workout in my Sporasub Dessault Elites the other weekend. I had quite the wake behind me. No kiddin' I was going faster than most troller motors can pull a boat. I was on my side to lessen the surface drag. When I got to the next dive attraction at the other side of the lake, some feller said, "I like your gadget you got there."

"Oh, it's not a monofin...just some longfins." I explained.

"No," he said with a smile, "I was talking about that Sea-Doo water scooter."

"I'm not wealthy enough for one of those," I chuckled.

He ducked under the surface to see for himself. Sure enough, all he saw was a pair of black Sporasubs eeling slowly like seaweed under my ankles. "Jeez!" he shouted, "What are THOSE bad boys for?"

"Freediving."

He hadn't heard anysuch thing before, so I gave him the run-down and the obligatory Deeperblue drop. He winced and said, "I guess that would entail quitting smoking, then?"

"Yup."

We had a couple of guys join our club lately and they drove about 3 hours to come over so I could give them a crash course in freediving. They were both avid scuba divers who wanted to make the switch. One had long fins and the other guy had ordered a pair, but they had not arrived yet. I had a cold and was only going to do things to demonstrate so I told the guy with scuba fins to wear mine, and when I demonstrated he could take them off and I would put them on.

Our crash course ended with dynamics. This man did about 64 meters in my fins on his second attempt, which I thought was really good for the first time he had ever done dynamics (MKDVR, dynamics are how far you can swim horizontally underwater. Like swimming laps, but under the water). We were ready to end so I told him, "just for fun put you scuba fins on and see how you do." He only made 35 meters and was exhausted. He never wanted to use the scuba fins again.

Definitely get some long fins. Everyone has their own ideas, which are the best, and also what beginners should use. Personally I feel that you will eventually want ones with more snap than plastic so why not buy a good pair to begin with. But hardly anyone takes my advice with this issue. :(

If you really don’t want to pay too much and get your feet wet, I would suggest Omer or Sporasub fins, because most better quality fins use their pockets (these two brands of foot pockets are interchangeable). This way if you want to upgrade, you can buy just the blades and save. If buying Omer I would suggest you not get the Millennium Competition in black. They are just too stiff for most people. The Millennium green or grays are better for most. Actually the price of the plastic Omer complete fins are about the same price as their foot pockets purchased separately.
don

Last edited:
Update: I'm finally making the transition/focus to freediving. I was in Ft. Lauderdale this past weekend and made the trip to Austin's and picked up most of the gear I'll need. Gara 3000's, 1mil socks, Superocchio mask, Cressi snorkel, and the Rob Allen "Marseilles" belt. In 9 years of diving I've never used a snorkel and haven't used a weight belt in 5 years. Going to take some getting used to. Also, I have the "Manual of Freediving" coming". Should be here tommorrow.

Some observations: I wanted the Omer belt with SS buckle but we couldn't get it to stay in the closed position. At one point it jammed. It kept popping open. Even when it was open it didn't release easily. What a piece of crap I thought. I tried the Marseilles belt. Sold! The fins fit perfect without socks and a little tight with socks.

Today I jumped in the pool for half an hour. Fortunately everything worked out and I didn't have to take anything back. The mask sealed, practiced clearing the snorkel, and the fins/socks felt perfect in the water. Going from Jetfins to Garas felt like strapping on a rocket. Big grin! Freaking fast. There's nothing Jet about a Jetfin. I did a couple laps with the flutter kick before dusting off my dolphin kick. This felt much more natural and faster to me. I prefer this method. I also messed around with some other kicks like the frog and reverse with little success so far. Now I just need to look around for the right suit.

P.S. Thanks to the guys who helped me out in the other thread.

Reactions: naiad
Freediving fins were a revelation to me too :). Congrats on your new purchases.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT