• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Any advice on specific exercises for pool training other than swimming and holding my breath for as long as possible?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Jun 3, 2021
I'm enrolling on a pool 25m long and about 3.5m at it's deepest. This way I can continue to train more often during the winter and even summer, when I can't drive those 40 minutes to the beach. I was wondering if there were any apnea specific exercises I could do. I looked online but can't find much more other than apnea tables.

Also, not sure they'll let me use my fins in the pool. Most of my diving is spearfishing related (although sometimes I do dive just to dive) so my most of my training I would like to direct towards spearfishing type training.

Thanks In Advanced!

I'm enrolling on a pool 25m long and about 3.5m at it's deepest. This way I can continue to train more often during the winter and even summer, when I can't drive those 40 minutes to the beach. I was wondering if there were any apnea specific exercises I could do. I looked online but can't find much more other than apnea tables.

Also, not sure they'll let me use my fins in the pool. Most of my diving is spearfishing related (although sometimes I do dive just to dive) so my most of my training I would like to direct towards spearfishing type training.

Thanks In Advanced!
Does the pool even allow breath holding and underwater swimming? Practice finning technique to improve your efficiency - see how few kicks you can do to reach the other end. Take a camera so you can see your finning mistakes. With a buddy, practice longer dynamics so you become more comfortable with the "struggle".

Does the pool even allow breath holding and underwater swimming? Practice finning technique to improve your efficiency - see how few kicks you can do to reach the other end. Take a camera so you can see your finning mistakes. With a buddy, practice longer dynamics so you become more comfortable with the "struggle".
I love the idea of setting up a camera to see my technic! I'll have to see what they let me and won't let me do at the pool

Firstly, I think if you can't train safely, it's better not to train - this is especially the case in water.

My local pool does not permit the use of fins or weights, and so lots of the exercises I would typically perform in training are not possible, or might lead to poor form once back in kit. Consequently I tend just to swim a lot of restricted-breathing lengths in patterns, e.g., (with numbers denoting the number of strokes between breaths) 2-3-4-5-4-3-2, that is to say, I swim a length breathing every second stroke, then a length breathing every third stroke, and so on. I usually swim breast stroke, just because otherwise I run out of pool too quickly. I would also like to go higher than five breaths, but that's a full length of my pool, and I am mindful of the fact that there is no buddy system in place.

Sometimes I vary my breathing continuously instead, e.g., swim two strokes, breathe, swim three strokes, breathe, swim four strokes, and so on, up and down again. I've found myself more likely to lose count this way, though.

Alternatively I just swim with fewer breaths, e.g., only breathing every fourth stroke (breast stroke) or sixth stroke (crawl - I only breathe every fourth stroke on crawl anyway). Or with crawl I will swim with a pull buoy between my knees, only breathing at the ends of the pool (23m).

When I swim breast stroke for apnea training I put very little into my arms and concentrate on kicking as hard as I can. I do this just because it seems to bring about the benefits of hypercapnic/lactic training more quickly - but that might just be me.

I swim these lengths in sets, and often intersperse these sets with two-length sprints (with full breathing).

Remember to take regular breaks if you are doing this, and to keep in mind that you don't have a buddy system in place. Also, you don't need to keep your lungs full to do these exercises, but I personally wouldn't do them empty either - swimmer's lung is a sort of pulmonary oedema, somewhat similar to a squeeze, and I suspect vigorous empty-lung training might make it more likely (that's a personal suspicion only - not medically determined or anything like that).

Finally, I personally believe that long, slow cardiovascular training over a sustained period of time (often called 'base training') has underappreciated benefits for freediving, so you could just do long continuous swim sessions (say an hour or more) in the pool with no modifications and chances are you'll eventually see decent benefits.

I hope this helps.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT