• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Any Fabricators Out There_ Wanna Brainstorm

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Glued up an experimental laminate blank today out of a bunch of particleboard I had laying around and some Gorilla glue. Overdid the glue a bit and the laminate ended up looking like a stack of melted ice cream sandwiches................lol........Scraped the glue off and will glue up the top rail tomorrow and try and figure out a handle.......Just looking to get a roughed out shape for future builds. I may make my own spears if I can figure out how to cut the notches properly or come up with a way to produce a sharkfin like design which is what I would prefer. I can make my own bands and bridles without too much trouble but I have decided not to try and make my own trigger.......Don't want to risk my safety or my dive partners until I get better at metal fabrication. Been spending a lot of time on the site doing "research" and peicing together my own designs based on parts of other that I like. Need to figure out a way to put a spear tether together as well............The local tackle shop has 300# power pro in bright yellow and pink which would be Ideal for the line......I think.

I should probably play it smart and just get a JBL D-6 and call it good but I love to tinker.

For your shark tabs you can always use pins. Drill holes in the top of your shaft a pinch smaller than the size of your stailness rod (~1/8 in or smaller) When you insert the rod you take a plumbers torch and heat up the shaft where the holes are. As the metal expands the holes will open up a bit and you will be able to insert the stainess pins. When the metal cools the pins will be just as good as welded.

After the whole thing cools you can tap the pins nd bend them over at a slight angle. This is how most custom shafts are made in Hawaii. If I get some time later on ill post a picture for you.

Reactions: foxfish
Here are a couple of pics of a pinned shaft. Hope it helps

Attachments

• Pinned shaft 1.jpg
    Pinned shaft 1.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 166
  • Pinned shaft 2.jpg
    Pinned shaft 2.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 178
THANKS BLAIZ!!!!!! I was thinking about doing something almost exactly like that but drilling the holes in the main shaft at an angle in the first place. Also figured out an enclosed track by getting rigid plastic tubing and just cutting off the top of the tubing lengthwise to allow passage of the fins/pins. I just wish my table saw had the balls to handle the solid hardwood flooring I have laying around....The stuff is damn tough stuff........Might just be I need a new blade but I have not gone there yet. THe flooring is over 1/2" think solid wood and in teak, oak, and mahogany . Can't wait until my skills get to where the wood deserves them to be if you get my meaning.

Considering this is about the only gun building happening on db at the moment you have our utmost attention, so ask away.
The problem with using plastic for an enclosed track will be the spear & tabs flying down the track at 150mph - this might cause some wear! Epoxy coated wood would withstand more abuse of this nature but the best bet would be to use nylon or derlin.
I have experimented with alloy tracks, they work fine but are noisy

I had Nylon or specifically Derlin in mind. I have a Tap Plastics right down the road from where I work. I thought of a alloy track already but was warmed of the noise thing. Still juggling the open/vs closed track thing. In the kelpy areas on this coast I am thinking an enclosed track is the way to go. That is also why I am building a short gun. I an still trying to figure out which trigger mech to purchase. Limited budget. One of the main reasons I am researching Hawaiian Slings as well.

Reactions: blaiz
Call Josh at www.neptonicsystems.com he has two trigger mechs available. One is listed on his site and is a bit more expensive but its designed for blue water guns with up to 6 bands. WHen I called to order that one he actually sold me a cheaper reef model which is still sturdy enough for 3 bands.

For your shark tabs you can always use pins.

use a domestic arc welder to put "blobs" on where you want the teeth, then shape/grind. It works really well. Don't worry too much about finding the right grade ss electrodes either. Play around with scrap until the idea works.

Yikes.....I could buy a JBL D6 for the price of a trigger mech..........Did not see that coming............Hmmmmmmmmm...........Might have to rethink this darn it.

Yikes.....I could buy a JBL D6 for the price of a trigger mech..........Did not see that coming............Hmmmmmmmmm...........Might have to rethink this darn it.

Check out this thread. They talk about a trigger mech for around $30... Might be worth a look.

http://forums.deeperblue.com/diy-homemade/80833-midhandle-gun-build.html

The trigger listed on the neptonics site is also almost twice the price as the one I ordered by phone. I think I payed around 45 or 50.

This build is on hold until I get a trigger figured out.......Will post pics of the laminate though and I will still do most of the shaping/handle installation/etc. just will not be able to really complete it until I get a trigger.

Asking questions is one of the things I am great at....The "but why daddy?" stage I never did grow out of....I want to know why something does or doesn't work.......Besides.....most of the basic raw materials for my builds come from construction sites or dumpster diving..............nothing better than free DSRTEGL

Disclaimer.....This is not meant to be a working build......Just practice to see if I can make due with existing tools and produce a decent result.

Main body laminate for the speargun is complete. 4 vertical and 2 horizontal laminates. Gorilla glue for adhesive. Cuts made with a table saw and a very dull blade.

Ummmmmmmm........Feeling stupid here but I added three images as attachments as per instructions in the faqs page?

Use the "manage attachments" at the bottom of the page. Browse for your pics, Make sure they are no bigger than 1024px/1024px. When you find the images you want be sure to hit the "upload" button and that should be it.

I could swear that is exactly what I did...........I will give it another try later

Another attempt at Pics..........Again.....Just farting around here to see if the tools I have now are going to work............REALLY need a new blade on the table saw.......And a drill press..........And a router table......And a bandsaw.........Feather boards for the table saw?

Attachments

• Main Body.jpg
    Main Body.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 173
  • closeup body.jpg
    closeup body.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 177
  • laminates.jpg
    laminates.jpg
    495.6 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Sorry for letting you guys down and letting this thread die but the "economy" really bit me pretty bad when my hours were cut at work. The pour foam gun project has merit according to my partners, but were are all stretched a little thin right now and since the stuff is pretty expensive we are waiting until better times to pursue the build.

The particle board practice build is on hold as I had my table saw set up on the back porch and had to bring it inside for the winter (rust....bummer) the "blank" is staying remarkably straight.

Right now my energies are transferred to the "Design" stage of several different ideas using a wide variety of building media that should be readily available to just about anyone.

1) Solid Hardwood flooring.......I DUMPSTER DIVE.....That is one of the ways I cut cost when I am in need of building materials. I have a nice pile of solid hardwood flooring scrap (both finished and unfinished) just waiting for spring and a little spare time. This flooring averages 18.4mm/.72" thick and will need to be planed level on the "bottom" before use. This is pretty damn thick to be used as a laminate, but if I used it as a center rail for strength it should work ok and at that thicknedd I should be able to rout a track into it pretty easy. I don't dive very ofter so I am not that worroed about wear/tear to the wooden track. This flooring is extremely dense and a serious (censored) to cut and shape however.

2) Laminate flooring...........Bear with me here.........This stuff SHOULD work for a build. It did no show and sighs of swelling or deforming until my test scrap had been in the dishwasher for quite a while. Can you think of a better, readily available, environmental torture test? This material is in varying grades from around .31"-.47" / 8.1mm-11.9mm and should work as a laminate with those thicknesses. This stuff is MUCH easier to work with than the solid hardwood but therefore might be more subject to damage. No "grain" to worry about either.

3) Plastic Cutting Boards...........pausing for laughter..........YES GUYS....I am serious . I have a friend that retired from the restaurant business and he made several SWEET guns using his old cutting boards. Solid, dependable, nearly INDESTRUCTABLE, there were some ballasting/floatation issues.....Easy to fabricate. Personally I was just thinking about cutting enclosed tracks from them. You can cut a lot of tracks from one of the bigger cutting boards and I am looking at building short guns.

Researching basic band designs I have settled on using Dyneema and not wire bridles and making my own. Pretty easy given the great reference information here.

Have to make my own shafts to save a little money. I should be able to make it happen with my present tools and local materials.

Made my own dive float/ warning flag out of a kids kickboard......Works great...also plan to attach my stringet to it while hunting so i do not have bloody fish on my in shark/seal country. VERY easy to make. Even better it was CHEAP!

Hawaiian sling almost ready to go except for shaft and shaft attachment to bands (2). Went with a "band forward" design as recommended in many threads. Shaft will be tethered to a float to prevent loss. Less than stellar water vis and if it goes deep I can't follow. All sorts of problems with the tether idea i know....especially in the rock and kelp but i have not figure out a "work around" quite yet. Glueing a secion of broken fishing rod in an eva fishing rod handle makes for a steady/comfortable grip you can hold on to.

Question here guys..............

What handle angle do you guys prefer here. I am looking at building rear handle short guns and I was thinking about something like a Colt 1911 angle but a more "revolver" shape?

I need more coffee................Pics of materials, builds, if any interest is generated.

DSRTEGL........................Thats Desert Eagle Folks!

ok i'll bite, give me a call 415 806 6285.

steve

Part of my New Years resolutions is to occasionally get my head out my ... I never did reply to your post did I?........

Most of my gun builds are on hold for parts/tools/financing but i am always up for a pizza and brainstorm session to talk gear and design.

Sorry for the snub man...........No excuse other than being preoccupied.

:head

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT